UPDATE FOR TODAY: COSY PUB INSTEAD OF SOGGY PICNIC ...The ground is wet from a lot of overnight rain, hence we'll eat lunch at the pub instead of having a soggy bottomed picnic! However we should be able to get to Speakers Corner as a largely sunny afternoon is forecast.
Rather cloudy at first with outbreaks of rain or locally heavy showers, but this largely clearing. Cloud will break by midday with bright or sunny spells forming, although a rogue afternoon shower is possible. Feeling very warm inland. Light winds.
12pm - Meet at the Victoria pub, upstairs, for Boghossian discussion/practice. Snacks & lunch available and weather is due to be warm, so picnic is also on later. Between 2 and 3pm (as group wishes) we'll head down to Speakers Corner and picnic. (A contact number will be emailed out the night before, as usual)
ABOUT THIS EVENT
PLEASE WEAR AS MUCH RED (red, for atheism!) AS YOU CAN - this seems to be working well in helping us identify each other, show a presence as well as a unity with other atheists.SEE BELOW IF YOU WANT A 'REAL' logo red t-shirt)
12pm: ALL WELCOME! (or come just to the PICNIC at 3pm ish if you prefer). First we will meet upstairs at the Victoria Pub to practise Peter Boghossian's method. Other LAAGers who haven't been to SC corner or to the Boghossian meetup on Aug 12 are also welcome of course! (Pub does snacks and food all day, we have a separate room upstairs)
Between 2 and 3pm : we'll head off to Speakers' Corner (10 min walk) and set up our LAAG Stand (and Picnic Area directly behind it in the park)
2:15 /3pm ish- 6pm (as flexible as people want) we'll be at our LAAG stand, working in pairs we'll try out the Boghossian method with genuinely interested religious people (but not with time wasters or the shouty brigade)
6pm ish - 'de-brief' and some laughs back at Victoria pub! Food available
MORE ABOUT THIS EVENT
(Here's the group enjoying a similar event in June...)
"JOY and REASON" - A Reason Picnic in the Park
- This 3rd event this year continues our summer of activism events "Joy and Reason" So far very popular, though we have not yet got into our stride for speaking with the religionists there. LAAG's remit is "peacefully promote & celebrate Reason, Equity & Freedom From Religion". So we shall be using Prof Peter Boghossian's method "A manual for creating atheists" to talk quietly, calmly and positively to those religious people who are genuinely interested in talking to us. The shouty brigade will not be entertained and we will refuse to talk to them as it is a waste of time and detracts from meaningful interaction.
- Since some of you asked, we did try inviting almost all other groups & organisations along (AHS were very positive, ELH wished us well & LBA listed it a few days before the event - though hardly anyone came along from these groups) - other groups didn't even reply. We may be able to do something with the AHS in future as they were enthusiastic and supportive, and with Cloe's new university group (South Bank Atheist Society - please support and 'like' on FB! : http://www.meetup.com/London-Atheist-Activist-Group-friendly-community/messages/boards/thread/37044822/). But right now largely it seems activism of this sort is down to LAAG and since so many of you do want to actively do something, we shall continue, with hopefully this time a bigger and better structure to the event (ignoring, like everyone else there! ... the supposed no-banner/no leaflet rule) - we'll have a LAAG STAND this time.
- Those who've indicated they'd like to be part of the LAAG Speakers Corner Team includes : Adrian, Andre, Andrew B, Andy S, Brian, Cloe, David Maguire, Georgi, Graham B, Frances, Jason, Joanne, Kieron, Leif, Mark L, Martyn, Paul S, Rich, Robin, Roger, Roma, Rosa, Steve C, Stephen Y. (Others welcome to join us on the day at SC and/or join the team in our practise session at the Victoria Pub beforehand course!) (Obviously not all members of the team will be able to be present every time, and not all will want to be speakers as such - all kinds of help is needed so whatever you want to do is great!)
- PICNIC- will situate it as close to (immediately behind) our stand. (In the park itself, behind the SC railing and under the single row of trees)
WHAT THIS EVENT IS ABOUT/DETAILS
- These events have been good fun and the public have been surprised to see Reason/atheism/humanism/secularism represented, & the good natured way most of us generally handle discussions ;-). Previous activism events have been getting high fives from people passing by - leaving the devisiveness & fear to the religious, we'll spread joy and reason instead!
- All welcome; experienced speakers, novices, and those who only want to support rather than speak. People can wander around and debate with other speakers, or support us at the LAAG stand - or just stay in the picnic area and chill!
- If you want a red t-shirt "REAL", or a blue EVOLUTION logo T-shirt to wear on the day & keep, we have/can get some at cost (£10) for you. Mark also has No entry "God" T-shirts for £15. Just email us (Georgi or Mark), or add a comment in the comments boxes below the event, with the size you need.
PURPOSE of the events: (Apart from enjoying the cameraderie and getting to know each other), the main purpose of our activism is to practise having everyday conversations with the religious. Our presence also serves to:
- Show the religious they can't say whatever dangerous, devisive and bigoted stuff they like, unchallenged. E.g. Should they be able to say "kill the infidels" (i.e all non muslims ) - and get away with it, in this country (or indeed anywhere?) Once something has to be justified, obviously you can't be so gung-ho and it makes it just a little more difficult to recruit vulnerable people so easily perhaps?
- Show a voice for the the silent/apathetic majority (non religious people!); which will inevitably, in time, reach media and government. Time and again we hear from politicians at rallies etc that secularists/atheists just don't show up or write-in. So let's start doing that ...or we'll have to stop complaining that our views are not reflected in society ;-)
- Showing latent atheists and secularists that actually, there are many many more of us than they realise...gives them confidence that they too can 'come out'! One never knows who hears something and it makes a difference. The ripple effect - you can't see it but it can work, er, miracles!
- We will have our own humorous leaflets, designed and written by talented LAAGers; Richard Francis, and Cheryl Kerkin (illustrations).Also some leaflets from other groups such as the National Secular Society
- (Stephen Yarde has suggested some great ones for you to print out yourself as well, if possible ....(http://www.richarddawkins.net/a...
"I suggest we all print them out and cut them into single strips for handing to people. Each one is unique, funny and encourages rational thought.
- Another idea is that we could print out some of the most violent, genocidal, racist, and sexist commands in the bible and show them to people who still believe that the bible is a good book. You can find a good selection here" http://www.evilbible.com/)