THIS IS A LAAG OWN EVENT, but organisers will likely not be present, hence it is being hosted informally by 'Brave Sir Robin' LAAGer, Brian! (Brain will not necessarily be able to be at EVERY weekly SC event himself either, but you can still arrange to meetup with other LAAGers who have RSVP'd)
Please note, since LAAG organisers may not be present, if you wish to meet up with other members who have RSVP'd 'yes', you can arrange that yourselves in the 'comments' boxes below, or by emailing each other from 'members' in the top menu )
ABOUT THESE EVENTS
- LAAG is having a series of activism events at SC throughout the summer. The next 'official' one is August 25th, whene we will have our own stand, banners etc. In the meantime, many LAAGers do go every week so these weekly listings are put here so that you can all arrange to meetup, if you wish to do so.
- So many bystanders at our previous events have asked us to "please come back" so these outing to SC are great for making a peaceful, good-natured stand for reason/atheism.These events have been good fun and the public have been surprised to see reason/atheism/humanism/secularism represented. Previous activism events have been getting high fives from people passing by - leaving the devisiveness & fear to the religious, we'll spread joy and reason instead!
Apart from enjoying the cameraderie with fellow atheists, the purpose of our activism is to:
- Show the religious they can't say whatever dangerous, devisive and bigoted stuff they like, unchallenged. E.g. Should they be able to say "kill the infidels" (i.e all non muslims ) - and get away with it, in this country (or indeed anywhere?) Once something has to be justified, obviously you can't be so gung-ho and it makes it just a little more difficult to recruit vulnerable people so easily perhaps?
- Show a voice for the the silent/apathetic majority (non religious people!); which will inevitably, in time, reach media and government. Time and again we hear from politicians at rallies etc that secularists/atheists just don't show up or write-in. So let's start doing that ...or we'll have to stop complaining that our views are not reflected in society ;-)
- Showing latent atheists and secularists that actually, there are many many more of us than they realise...gives them confidence that they too can 'come out'! One never knows who hears something and it makes a difference. The ripple effect - you can't see it but it can work, er, miracles!
WE SUGGEST YOU WEAR REF T-SHIRTS (Red, for atheism), to show others our presence easily.
You can also print out leaflets (or personalise your own plain t-shirts with permanent markers) - Stephen Yarde has suggested this site....below (http://www.richarddawkins.net/a...
It has short, unique phrases using the irony "MAKE SENSE" e.g. "All evil in the world is because of a talking snake. Makes sense"
LEAFLETS (or notes to help with dealing with religious people):
You can find good quotes to use when speaking yourself, or for your own reference at : evilbible.com
Or see here for short/memorable ripostes!
See tfl.gov.uk for full details of any planned closures/disruptions.