London Atheist Activist Group (informal community) Message Board 1. MAIN FORUM - (non-Islam) › (PINNED) DISCUSSION/TALKS MEETUPS - what topics/speakers would you like?

(PINNED) DISCUSSION/TALKS MEETUPS - what topics/speakers would you like?

Richard F
user 2543752
London, GB
Post #: 956
I know this is greedy of me but can I suggest another topic... death. How do atheists feel about it and what do we say to people who worry about it? Part of the reason why I suggest this is that there is a free exhibition at the Wellcome trust about the topic. We could go there and then convene at a pub afterwards to discuss what we've seen.

Death: Self-portrait

There are several pubs in the area that have separate rooms connected. Just a thought;)
Adrian
KingHell
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 390
That sounds interesting. Having done live stand up I have of course died more than once in this lifetime, as indeed have all comedians! Another PoV is that of Ayn Rand who said in answer to the question that she herself wouldn't die but the world would. That's the objectivist view.
Steve
lawlorsteve
Purley, GB
Post #: 896
That sounds interesting. Having done live stand up I have of course died more than once in this lifetime, as indeed have all comedians!

Talking of comedy...I am with Woody Allen on this one: "I'm not afraid of dying, I just don't want to be there when it happens".

But yes, interesting taboo subject, most people won't talk about it, but it will happen to all of us eventually.
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 1,141
I know this is greedy of me but can I suggest another topic... death. How do atheists feel about it and what do we say to people who worry about it? Part of the reason why I suggest this is that there is a free exhibition at the Wellcome trust about the topic. We could go there and then convene at a pub afterwards to discuss what we've seen.

Death: Self-portrait ...

Richard, pleeeeze suggest as many as you like ...if we know what you guys want we can try and provide it, so all suggestions (and feedback - good or bad!) is welcome...(if bad, then constructive is much preferred! ;-))

Anyway, looks like the exhibition finishes on Feb 24th, and late nights till 9pm are Thursdays only, so avoiding valentines' day, the next thursday is Feb 21st ...does that work for you? We'd have to reserve the tickets in 2's as they don't allow block bookings ...

Thanks also to Roger, Graham Bell, and a couple of others for suggesting another language exploring meetup ..."the use, misuse and abuse of the basic terms surrounding atheism and its extensions". A C Grayling said there were 3 -isms - atheism, humanist and secularism and he outlined the scope of each. These are of course all contested terms meaning different things to different people and misused and abused not only by theists. There are of course other -isms - agnosticism, anti-theism as well as terms such as weak atheism and strong atheism (not to mention .cough cough.. 'Positive' Atheism (rarely was a word ever so unsuitable ...when applied to the only atheism that has any right to be to be in town! ...for those of you who know what I'm referring to ;-)).

Anyway, so a discussion on the basic terms 'of the trade' and the importance of their appropriate use in facilitating discussion and countering some of the silly claims of some religious - Atheism is a religion/faith, Dawkins is religious fundamentalist, etc.

And Richard, we could also bring in your idea about the Greek version of atheism if you like...

Richard F
user 2543752
London, GB
Post #: 959
21st works for me. I haven't gone to the late evening but I would suggest that we won't have a problem turning up. I will try to pop down there when the snow isn't so bad and check out the availability.

"'Positive' Atheism (rarely was a word ever so unsuitable ...when applied to the only atheism that has any right to be to be in town!" LMAO. That has made my day;)

Skepticism, Atheism, Humanism, Secularism, Agnosticism etc. I've said before that semantics is a black hole for debate but if any meetup group can work it out....;)
Richard F
user 2543752
London, GB
Post #: 963
Was doing a little Spring... Winter... OCD cleaning and found this list that I had written several years ago when I was in another atheist group... those were the days... NOT!! Take from it what you will.

1) Faith schools - some atheists don't want to touch them (apologist bastards!!), some want to modify them, some want to get rid of them altogether. How do we feel?

2) Spirituality - Is it harmless for people to be spiritual? What does it even mean? Should we develop arguments against it or leave it alone?

3) Moral Values - Is it worth providing coherent arguments for morality without religion or should we stick to why there aren't any gods?

4) The Vatican - What the f*&k has to happen for people to see how corrupt the Vatican really is? How do we get the message across to people?

5) Common Fallacies - Religious arguments are pretty basic and mostly based on false positions. Is it worth having couching lessons in seeing through the common false claims that religious people make?

6) Religious writings - How useful is it to get bogged down in religious writings considering most religious people don't even read the stuff themselves? The others who do read it won't listen to a reasonable critique of the works, so is there any point in arguing from this position?

The other suggestion I was going to make was having a film night once in a while and watch a film that will trigger a good discussion. Films like 'Requiem' or 'Agora' spring to mind.
Heather
user 11060735
London, GB
Post #: 47
Hi, I'm interested in a specific meeting to discuss the UCKG - its (apparent) techniques in fleecing its largely poor congregation even to the extent of encouraging them to get into debt to give more donations to the church, its wealthy Portuguese 'owners', the campaign against its holding onto a disused cinema building in Walthamstowe, The Times' investigation into it and the failure of the Charity Commission to act etc
Richard F
user 2543752
London, GB
Post #: 980
I went to the Wellcome trust and they said that you don't book for the evenings, you just turn up and queue. It will probably be busy but that would amount to a 20 minute wait. Fine with me.

I also checked with The Doric Arch which is a pub almost directly opposite and they would be happy to reserve an area for us to go to afterwards and chat. We just have to let them know of rough figures. Shall we go for the 21st of February then?
Adrian
KingHell
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 413
I went to the Wellcome trust and they said that you don't book for the evenings, you just turn up and queue. It will probably be busy but that would amount to a 20 minute wait. Fine with me.

I also checked with The Doric Arch which is a pub almost directly opposite and they would be happy to reserve an area for us to go to afterwards and chat. We just have to let them know of rough figures. Shall we go for the 21st of February then?

Yes absolutely. I'll post it now. Thanks for doing the leg work :-)

Posted - enjoy the irreverent style I've used 'cos I expect Ginny will want to change, oops, tidy it up a bit when she sees it!
Richard F
user 2543752
London, GB
Post #: 981
Thanks. I'll book up the space in the pub once we've got a good idea about how many are going.

I don't mind your irreverent style but it would be great if you could spell 'Wellcome' properly;)