London Atheist Activist Group (friendly community) Message Board ONGOING CAMPAIGNS REMIT 1: "ASK FOR EVIDENCE" (Faith is a vice, not a virtue!) › Visibilty of Science Programmes on BBC iPlayer

Visibilty of Science Programmes on BBC iPlayer

Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 339
I'm suffering from HRS ('Hamid's Response Syndrome') - i.e. that sort of infuriating letter has just made me mad enough I had to stop myself hitting the screen.

The BBC's response is appalling!
Let me calm down...
Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 342
I got my reply from the Beeb...
Dear Martyn

Reference CAS-1749599-W24VYM

Thanks for contacting the BBC.

I understand you've previously contacted us regarding the amount of science related programmes available on the BBC iplayer service.

We have pointed out the reasoning for limited availability on certain programmes broadcast on the BBC, I can assure you there is no biased towards any one topic of programming. We strive to provide a range of programmes to cater for our audience as a whole, however there will be occasions that certain genres will feel less catered for than others.

There are a number of categories available on the BBC iplayer website, I have included a link to the 'Science and Nature' section of this service. Hopefully you will find programmes of interest:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/...­

At this point I can only register your disappointment of the service, your complaint will be made available on the audience log. This is a daily report of audience feedback that's made available to all BBC staff, including members of the BBC Executive Board, programme makers, channel controllers and other senior managers.

The audience logs are seen as important documents that can help shape decisions about future programming and content.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us.

Kind Regards

Tanya McKee

BBC Complaints

www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

NB This is sent from an outgoing account only which is not monitored. You cannot reply to this email address but if necessary please contact us via our webform quoting any case number we provided.

I'm thinking that this is a dead end. Bear in mind that BBC News has sections for Science and Technology but not for Religion (hurrah!).

I should have tackled them on the Religion / Ethics association instead.

I'm pondering whether or not to ask for the supplied link to be included in the subject list.
Adrian
KingHell
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 305
I believe you'll find that all these letters are concocted based on keywords by a machine and then made, quite skilfully I might add, to look like a personal and sometimes even relevant response using standard paragraphs. These replies are a bit like horoscopes, in other words entirely vague.Is there anything in the response that suggests a human has ever read your original complaint? I strongly doubt it. That's another reason the 'account is not monitored' - because it's a computer not a person, and the ruse won't stand up to correspondence. I expect Tanya McKee exists, but she probably sends 15,000 emails per day, none of which she actually writes herself. I expect a sample are actually read, whilst maintaining the illusion of 'personal service'.

When I complain to the Beeb I always write at the end of my message "I shan't ask for a reply as I know they're computer generated standard paragraph nonsense, so don't think you've fooled me."
Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 344
I think I might try sending them a weirdly worded compliment in the complaints section and see what the result is.
Adrian
KingHell
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 306
U51Ɲġ £33Ʈ ʬȉȽȽ ʂʗЯЭШ АμΤϴ Язаδεʀʒ טҏ
Alex D
SeeksTruthNboobs
London, GB
Post #: 180
£Ø£¡

Using bad handwrighting might also work - with the extra benefit that a physical letter might be taken more seriously than an email.

(I recently read elsewhere that the BBC complaints department is intentionally structured just as a screen between the Beeb and the public, so would be failing in its aim were a complaint ever to result in a change being made. If true, other routes must be tried, such as trying to access the BBC Trust direct, or publicity in the media.)

(If you've ever wasted time watching BBC's 'Points of View' or whatever it's called you'll see the process is about fobbing off the complainant rather than holding programme makers to account, regardless of how obviously virtuous a complaint seems.)
Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 347
As in...

I understand you've previously contacted us regarding the amount of science related programmes available on the BBC iplayer service.
Translation: Your name is now on our watch list.

We have pointed out the reasoning for limited availability on certain programmes broadcast on the BBC, I can assure you there is no biased towards any one topic of programming. We strive to provide a range of programmes to cater for our audience as a whole, however there will be occasions that certain genres will feel less catered for than others.
Translation: You're just another weirdo.

At this point I can only register your disappointment of the service, your complaint will be made available on the audience log. This is a daily report of audience feedback that's made available to all BBC staff, including members of the BBC Executive Board, programme makers, channel controllers and other senior managers.
Translation: Talk to the hand!

Copyright (c) BBC 2006 - Standard Reply No. 132

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Perhaps a back handed/sarcastic compliment based query would work instead: -

"I am so pleased to see the BBC including Religion with Ethics on the iPlayer menu. These two subjects fit so well together and so many people do not understand the serious ethical frameworks that lay behind the major organised religions. The one thing the BBC always does so brilliantly is to provide programming based on clear, professional and evidence based research. I have learned so much from the BBC in the past and wish to continue doing so.

Consequently I look forward to your answer to my two simple questions: -

1. What were the specific religious ethics supported the Roman Catholic church to protect the children under its care in the manner in which they did? Please answer with specific reference to the ethics covering child abuse commited by Priests over the last fifty years.

2. How does the BBC qualify the religious ethics utilised behind the way Islam teaches parents about the sanctity of life? Please answer with specific reference to the ethics used to justify the throwing of acid into young girl's faces.

I look forward to your professional and ever enlightening answers."