London Atheist Activist Group (informal community) Message Board 1. MAIN FORUM - (non-Islam) › Psychics fail scientific test

Psychics fail scientific test

Thinker
user 8853862
London, GB
Post #: 136
Apparently, some psychics agreed to a scientific test of their abilities. After reading the article [see link below] I'm baffled as to why one of the psychics, Patricia Putt, agreed to go through with the test, especially since she claimed to only possess powers when interacting directly with people:

...saying that she needed to work face-to-face with people or to hear their voice, so that a connection could be established.

Read the article via the link below. smile

http://www.bbc.co.uk/...­
Rose
user 53882812
London, GB
Post #: 74
I predicted this would happen.

Have you ever noticed how the strongest critics of the scientific method are the people who know the least about it? She called scientists "very closed-minded"? Really??? What does she think science is? Doesn't she know that in the last 500 years, science has discovered many things that challenged previous scientific knowledge, and these findings were not rejected? They were investigated rigorously, found to be correct, and incorporated into our scientific knowledge. We have also uncovered things that are serious challenges to common sense (eg quantum weirdness), but once again, these ideas were investigated, then confirmed, then embraced. And think of technology. In the last 200 years alone, or world has been transformed beyond all recognition by factories, railways, electricity, road traffic, recorded sound, broadcasting, telephones, planes, computers, mobile phones, and the internet. Are the people who R&D'd those technologies closed minded? If so, how come we have the technologies? If scientists were closed-minded, we'd still be calculating everything using Newtonian equations, and sat nav wouldn't work; We'd still believe in phlogiston, and fridges wouldn't work; In fact, we'd still think that the atom is indivisible, like the ancient Greeks. Science is a discipline that functions according to rules. If you can't obey those rules, of course scientists aren't going to take you seriously! What does she expect? It's like joining in a game of football, picking the ball up and running with it, and then complaining when you get sent off. But what saps me of the will to live even more than fraudsters and self-deluders like her is the ignorant masses who swallow this bullshit that people are dumping all over the greatest accomplishment of the human race that I love.
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 831
I predicted this would happen.

Ironic that you predicted it Rose, since apparently they're psychics ...shouldn't they have known in advance what the outcome would be? biggrin
Barry R.
user 10723166
London, GB
Post #: 436
The delightful James Randi is still holding his (own) $10, 000 prize for anyone who can demonstrate 'psychic powers' in laboratory conditions. This money had been on offer since the early eighties and nobody has been able to win it.
In (about) 1989, Randi teamed-up with a US TV company who added another $90, 000 to the prize. Still no takers.

All we ever get is this constant moaning about the 'right conditions'.
Rose
user 53882812
London, GB
Post #: 77
Can you imagine the lying and compartmentalization that must go on in these peoples' heads in order to convince themselves that they're legit psychics, despite not going for the prize money? Surely, at some point, it must be easier just to admit that they're wrong. Mind you, I speak as someone who has done so several times in my life about big issues, so it comes naturally to me. Apparently not to everyone.
Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 331
I wonder what percentage of lottery winners are 'psychic'.

Indeed, shouldn't psychics be more successful generally?
Thinker
user 8853862
London, GB
Post #: 137
In response to Patricia Putt's statement:

"Scientists are very closed-minded," confused

I thought of the youtube clip entitled "Open-mindedness" by QualiaSoup:

http://www.youtube.co...­

biggrin
Barry R.
user 10723166
London, GB
Post #: 439
Nice little clip.laughing
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 836
Nice little clip.laughing

Yes, Qualiasoup's stuff is pretty impressive ...should be shown in schools.