London Atheist Activist Group (friendly community) Message Board 1. MAIN FORUM - (non-Islam) › Pregnant woman dies after being refused abortion

Pregnant woman dies after being refused abortion

Alex D
SeeksTruthNboobs
London, GB
Post #: 191
Of course if you actually believe what the church says, the mother and foetus - and all the medical staff who allowed her to so nobly 'sacrifice' herself - will all be going to eternal bliss, so no need to grieve.

The fact that so many moderate christians get as upset as we do about this kind of thing shows they don't truly believe in the tenets of their religion; their instincts &/or rationality trump their faith. Some cause for hope...
Barry R.
user 10723166
London, GB
Post #: 467

The fact that so many moderate Christians get as upset as we do about this kind of thing shows they don't truly believe in the tenets of their religion; their instincts &/or rationality trump their faith. Some cause for hope...

I agree and share your hope, Alex.

It is this kind of daily tragedy that should get the moderate/sensible religious mind to once-and-for-all examine the notion of a loving, caring God.
It would be nice to think that having reached the only logical conclusion, they would be inclined to do what all of us have done - declare their atheism.

The moderate religionists hold the key to the eventual defeat of all religions. Without the vast numbers of 'nominal believers' all that would be left would be the fundamentalist lunatics. Thus isolated, they could be seen for what they are - barking mad.
Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 367
By now the BBC must be a database of religion inspired tragedies. It would be nice to produce a document listing them all and then send copies to various religious people calling them to account.

Actually it would make a ('nice' is the wrong word) picture book. Republishing all those stories for the public.
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 886
By now the BBC must be a database of religion inspired tragedies. It would be nice to produce a document listing them all and then send copies to various religious people calling them to account.

Actually it would make a ('nice' is the wrong word) picture book. Republishing all those stories for the public.

Unfortunatelty Martyn, here's what I think religious people would do if faced with something like this:

First, discount anything that isn't 'my' religion
Next, discount anything that isn't in 'my' country
Next, discount anything that's been done by a priest/rabbi etc ..."they're were the odd one, not like all the other nice priests/rabbis/gurus"

Where does that leave us ?

I am convinced the best way to get through to religious people is to disabuse them of the notion of ethics being derived from religion per se, rather than pointing out individual heinous acts. People stay religious I think because they feel somehow superior and 'good' by identifying themselves with it. If the blinders were lifted from this myth then perhaps they'd be more willing to break from the otherwise mainly only cultural ties that keep them saying they're 'religious', even when it's in name only?
Derek S.
user 37948572
London, GB
Post #: 344
" Hi team ...
Pregnant woman dies after being refused abortion...

We must not forget about this ..What ever happens here on this story team. (All in the name of the nonexistent super sky-daddy rules)..

Del...the infidel..
Barry R.
user 10723166
London, GB
Post #: 469
Del,

I think that there are two basic issues here.

The first is that The Irish Government can - and does - point out that the abortion law (in part) was arrived at after the nation was given a referendum on it. The population - which is predominantly catholic - wanted the ban. It was Savita Halappanavar's ill-fortune to fall pregnant in such a place.

The second point is to be addressed by the proposed inquiries: At what point did the medical staff realise that Savita's"life was in danger? Whilst 'her health' could not afford her an abortion, the 'risk to her life' could have. Someone will have to decide if the medics failed to spot the crucial 'cross-over' from one to the other.

You are right to say that, at the root of all this, is religion. The notion of 'the soul' being imparted at conception is a deeply-held tenet of Catholicism, of course. As far as I'm aware, the existence of 'the soul' has yet to be proved by anyone anywhere. The doctors in Galway all knew this, of course, but were bound by 'the law'.
Derek S.
user 37948572
London, GB
Post #: 345
" Hi Barry ..

"Yes totally agreed here with your post ...Well said Sir!

Del..the infidel.