London Atheist Activist Group (friendly community) Message Board 1. MAIN FORUM - (non-Islam) › Pope Joins Twitter: Benedict XVI's Screenname Will Be @Pontifex

Pope Joins Twitter: Benedict XVI's Screenname Will Be @Pontifex

Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 975
No I'm not making it up.

This from Huffpost: (What's latin for bollocks?)

VATICAN CITY (AP) — Pope Benedict XVI will start tweeting in six languages from his own personal handle (at)Pontifex on Dec. 12.

The Vatican said Monday the pope will be using a question and answer format in his first Tweet, focusing on answering questions about faith — in 140 characters.

The pope sent his first tweet last year from a Vatican account to launch the Holy See's news information portal. The Vatican's communications adviser Greg Burke told a press conference that the handle (at)Pontifex was chosen for the pope's personal account because it not only means pope in Latin, but also bridge-builder, suggesting unity. How often will the pope tweet? Burke said, "as often as he wants."

The Vatican has been increasing its presence in social media to try to spread the faith, particularly among the young.

Alex D
SeeksTruthNboobs
London, GB
Post #: 239
I imagine people are already tweeting as "god", "jesus", "the pope", "jaweh", "the messiah" etc - but if not, we should start! Text messages from god would be an improvement on vague mental whisperings...
Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 417
There's a rumour being put around by a subversive organisation called the 'Testicularti' that the Poope got the idea of twittering from one of his ... ahem ... 'young boys'. So if the Holy See starts twittering 'Auxilium! Auxilium!Eripe me! Habeo ulcus asinus.' You know there's someone needing salvation fom the church.
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 980
Martyn, testicularti? ...LOL!

Alex, yes God does tweet. Some are quite amusing. " My son is 2000 years old and still lives with his parents. @loser"

Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 1,000
Here are some other tweets of god that tickled me:

Thinker also added some really funny pics: