London Atheist Activist Group (friendly community) Message Board 1. MAIN FORUM - (non-Islam) › Manchester baby boy 'bled to death after circumcision'

Manchester baby boy 'bled to death after circumcision'

Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 976
I wonder if the 'home nurse' that did i will be sent to prison for murder as she should, along with the parents if you ask me.

From BBC Manchester:

Mrs Adeleye, of Sarnia Court, Salford, was paid £100 to do the operation, the court was told.

It is alleged the defendant, who is also a midwife, left a "ragged" wound that bled and her post-operative care was inadequate.

The family home, where the procedure took place, is a mile and a half from Royal Oldham Hospital.

Adrian Darbishire QC, opening the case for the prosecution, told the jury: "The allegation essentially here is that the care she provided in the course of that procedure was so bad that not only did it cause the death of that young baby wholly unnecessarily, but it amounted to gross negligence and a crime."

The court heard up to three children a month are admitted to the Royal Manchester Children's Hospital because of bleeding after home-based circumcisions - a danger the nurse should have been aware of.

Mrs Adeleye went to Goodluck's home on 16 April 2010, telling his mother to fetch some olive oil and a bowl of warm water and stripping the baby to his vest, the jury was told.
'No pain relief'

The defendant brought her "instruments" out of her handbag and dipped a pair of scissors into the water in a kidney dish.

She carried out the procedure with no anaesthetic or local pain relief before cleaning the wound with cotton wool and applied a bandage, the court heard.

Between 30 and 40 minutes after surgery, Mrs Adeleye left without making any proper checks on the patient, Mr Darbishire said.

Later, the parents found the bandage had come off the wound and there was blood in Goodluck's nappy.

Mr Darbishire said even a small amount of blood loss is dangerous and the loss of just one sixth of a pint of blood can be fatal for a newborn.

A post-mortem examination revealed Goodluck's death was caused by a loss of blood.

The trial continues.
Barry R.
user 10723166
London, GB
Post #: 511
This 'home nurse' was paid £100?
That rather sounds like a 'private' arrangement to me. I wonder if the defendant was even trained and qualified to carry-out this procedure; the trial should disclose this at some stage.
Genuine 'community nurses' don't charge for their wonderful care that they provide.

If convicted she should definitely go to prison. Deterrents are vital in combating this sort of quackery.

Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 419
The parents should be charged with child abuse too.
Richard F
user 2543752
London, GB
Post #: 908
This is an outrage for both the so-called nurse, the parents and the authorities for not clamping down on this. Why are we putting up with this horrific practice. Disgusting!
Rose
user 53882812
London, GB
Post #: 119
I feel ill.