MyTime_ThisTime
user 3399980
London, GB
Post #: 194

MTTT noted it in her post and when I went to edit it I found that you'd already done so. I am grateful, cheers.

I'll take that as a thank you to me too. biggrin

Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 1,005
I shall be sending this to someone I know who says the SA don't push religion. Yeah right.
Barry R.
user 10723166
London, GB
Post #: 521
You sure canwink

Your keen eyes and Martyn's may yet have saved me from having back issues of 'The War Cry' rammed into my mouth by enraged farties in uniform.

A fate worse than a fate worse than death. (Black Adder)biggrin

Steve
lawlorsteve
Purley, GB
Post #: 855
xxx Gxxx Gxxx Road
E11 4XX

Australian's wouldn't give a 4xx

Sorry, I couldn't resist quoting that famous beer advert. biggrin
Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 427
OK - time to stir the pot methinks...

The Salvation Army (of the 'delusional' persuasion) ARE out there helping the homeless. Fact.

Apart from social services, does anyone know of an equivalent secular organisation that's out there doing the same thing to the same extent, or more?

It would be nice to know.
MyTime_ThisTime
user 3399980
London, GB
Post #: 195
OK - time to stir the pot methinks...

The Salvation Army (of the 'delusional' persuasion) ARE out there helping the homeless. Fact.

Apart from social services, does anyone know of an equivalent secular organisation that's out there doing the same thing to the same extent, or more?

It would be nice to know.

lol. You're right, it's difficult to find secular equivalents. The only one I know is Centre Point, a London based homeless charity for young people aged between 16 and 25. I'm sure there must be more.
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 1,009
I get why some people are homeless, especially young people who've literally run away from home, but why are there soooo many homeless? I thought everyone is entitled to basic welfare state ...are they just not applying or what?
MyTime_ThisTime
user 3399980
London, GB
Post #: 196
I too don't understand why mature British adults would be homeless. Is it a lifestyle choice? Drug dependency? Mental illness? Social inability? However, the youngsters are more understandable.

Apparently there are also a lot of illegal child immigrants brought here by their parents or trafficked over here who do not qualify for State welfare. No doubt there are quite a few adults trafficked over here too. It's a difficult one.
Steve
lawlorsteve
Purley, GB
Post #: 856
I too don't understand why mature British adults would be homeless. Is it a lifestyle choice? Drug dependency? Mental illness? Social inability? However, the youngsters are more understandable.

Why do people often seem to think the cause(s) are their fault? I think it is so we can then stop feeling guility for not electing a party that takes housing seriously, it's always easier to see the ones who are homeless because of drugs etc. so that we can blame them instead of us. And I'm not denying that that probably is a large portion of why people become homeless, but it's not the only reason.

I think it's just as likely to be our housing policy (or lack of a good housing policy). One of my friend's once volunteered for Crisis at Christmas, and he was speaking to an ex-chef who used to work in a top London hotel and he lost his job, he then lost everything else because he couldn't afford to pay for where he was living and was then homeless.

We all know how expensive it is to live in a big city. Many places are unaffordable, even to people working full time.
Barry R.
user 10723166
London, GB
Post #: 523
The most obvious secular organisation doing this work would be 'Shelter', I would think.

My beef wasn't about whether the SA do or don't do the things that they claim. I'm sure that you guys can see my point here; the SA is a Christian organisation and its membership is devout. But, like all religious idiots they either don't know what the Bible tells them about obtaining things or, if they do, they don't believe it.

The old canard about 'If it's God's will..' is baloney. Read the Biblical examples that I cited in my letter, guys. The Buybull is very, very clear.

The SA just loves to reap the kudos for what it does but I'm willing to wager that they don't tell those that they help where the money is coming from.

If the SA took off their pseudo-military uniforms and did what they did because it was right,decent and humane - rather than wanting to appear as earth-bound Saints - I'd give as generously as I could. But while they fuck about with this 'look at me, ain't I great' bollocks, they can talk a long walk off a short pier!