London Atheist Activist Group (friendly community) Message Board 1. MAIN FORUM - (non-Islam) › Israel vs. Iran - A coming war? Who says?

Israel vs. Iran - A coming war? Who says?

Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 470
Video

The potential Israel / Iran conflict looks pretty much like a religious conflict. Yes I know it's more than that, but religion plays a fundamental role in this tension.

The other major role is played by the politicians playing politics. Who is surprised at that?

Here's the voice of people.

Made me cry.
A former member
Post #: 60
Nice post.

Nice to see a little bit of sanity and social media actually making a positive difference!
Richard F
user 2543752
London, GB
Post #: 940
I debated with an Israeli at Speaker's Corner about this issue and he started by saying that he was coming from a 'secular' position. Very quickly he reverted to The Torah justifying his argument. There may be other problems but...

The Torah claims that God promised land to the Jews...
The Torah was written by the Jews...

HELLO!!
A former member
Post #: 56
I debated with an Israeli at Speaker's Corner about this issue and he started by saying that he was coming from a 'secular' position. Very quickly he reverted to The Torah justifying his argument. There may be other problems but...

The Torah claims that God promised land to the Jews...
The Torah was written by the Jews...

HELLO!!

Hi Richard,

Though they might be some Jews that base their argument on that, because god is clearly a real estate agent, the majority of them don't.
Iran vs Israel might be a war that has to do in some way with religion but it won't be from Israel's side. Iran is the clear theocratic dictatorship that make all their decisions based on a fiction book.

Barry R.
user 10723166
London, GB
Post #: 590
The Israel/Iran standoff isn't about territorial claims between them per se. They don't share any borders and are not bitching over disputed lands.
Iran provides support for the Arabs who are in conflict with Israel over territory that was promised to them by god.

The OT sets out the promise that god gave the Jews. The Qu' ran was plagiarized from the Bible and depicts 'the promise' as being from Allah to Muslim Arabs.

The Arabs have steadfastly refused to accept any compromise at all since the Jewish nation was created. They attacked it the very day after it came into existence. The Jews have, at least, sought to negotiate an agreement.

The Arabs don't want an agreement. Ahmadinejad famously declared that, "There will be no peace until all of the Jews are driven into the sea". He has made a great may threats and his rage and disdain for Isreal and the Jews is every bit as vicious as Hitler's was.
Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 474
The Jews in Israel are still building settlements on land that is/was owned by Palestinians despite many calls from the international community to stop doing so. The Israeli justification is that the land was originally owned by the Jews - many, many centuries ago. As there's no international statute of limitations on land ownership, each side claims to own the same land and then they use their own religious writings as justification. It's pathetic. People are being robbed and are fighting each other and politicians like to keep this going for their own ends, using religion as a justification to steal and/or murder.
A former member
Post #: 57

The Arabs have steadfastly refused to accept any compromise at all since the Jewish nation was created. They attacked it the very day after it came into existence. The Jews have, at least, sought to negotiate an agreement.

The Arabs don't want an agreement. Ahmadinejad famously declared that, "There will be no peace until all of the Jews are driven into the sea". He has made a great may threats and his rage and disdain for Isreal and the Jews is every bit as vicious as Hitler's was.

Precisely Barry. With the so called "Arab spring" now things will only get worse when you have one of Morsi's advisors saying Israel will not exist in 10 years and at the same time the Islamists push in Syria.
Like you said Arabs and more specifically Palaistinians, were offered peace and a solution many times. They rejected it and will always do because they see the whole area as theirs.
Richard F
user 2543752
London, GB
Post #: 944
Makis,

What is the non-Torah argument for Jews throwing Arabs out of their homes? The Jews were 'given' this land precisely because they were promised land by God.

Btw, I think they are as bad as each other when it comes to digging their sandals into the ground and enjoying the fight. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that religious people love to have a conflict to get their teeth into... actually, that's exactly what I am saying.
Barry R.
user 10723166
London, GB
Post #: 591
Martyn,

much of the land that is now in dispute (The Occupied Territories) was gained by Israel as a direct result of the Arab attack which precipitated the 6-Day-War. The Arabs were the aggressors and lost land that they would have kept had they accepted the status quo. They didn't. Their gamble cost them dear and they're still smarting over it.
A former member
Post #: 39

What is the non-Torah argument for Jews throwing Arabs out of their homes?

The Jews were being persecuted all over Europe before and during World War II. Thousands of Jewish Holocaust survivors and refugees sought a new life far from their destroyed communities in Europe. So they all started immigrating and legally buying land in the British mandate of Palestine. And when Britain decided to give the mandate of Palestine it's independence, they had a plan to replace the mandate with an independent Arab State, an independent Jewish State -- where Jews all over the world can immigrate to and have a safe haven.