Roger
user 33309642
London, GB
Post #: 147
On Wednesday this week I went, care of 3ff (the "Three Faiths Forum"), to a school in Acton along with a Hare Krishna monk and a Jewish lady & addressed a couple of classes (years 8 & 9) about our beliefs, or lack of them, followed by a lively Q&A session. As the classes seemed to be composed entirely of Christians and Moslems the choice of the three different perspectives seemed a good one. The aim was never to convert but simply to show students that there are other views & ways of living than the ones they've grown up with. I got the usual questions, such as how do you think the universe was created and what happens when you die, and enjoyed fielding them. It seemed to me to be a worthwhile use of my time & I've volunteered for more sessions. 3ff run brief training sessions to prepare people for these encounters & I would recommend the experience to anyone who has time free during the day.
http://www.3ff.org.uk...­
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 1,264
Sounds great Roger, thanks for posting.

I am put off by the CRB check, which I don't agree with and don't want to give into. I mean, is it pertinent in a situation where people are speaking to a group, in a crowded room?! It's not like it's a one to one session or something where some criminal act might conceivably be possible. Blanket box ticking really annoys me as it is so wasteful (obviously funded by taxpayers) and is just meaningless back-covering unthinking madness. I feel like writing "go and raid the vatican, or at least tackle children being mutilated by their own parents and stop all the paedophile priests in the UK first, and then we'll talk about your CRB checks" on these forms!.

But on the other hand this kind of programme is so worthwhile. Hmm, a dilemma.

What answers did you give btw? And what were the reactions from the pupils?
Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 535
This looks a like a really worthwhile activity for members to get involved with if they are able, and if they want to. Education (and the expanding of children's horizons) is such an important thing to do. It'll help de-demonise atheism and maybe show religions for what they really are.
Richard F
user 2543752
London, GB
Post #: 1,017
I would love to get involved with this (and I promise to 'tame myself'!!!) A chat is in order;)
Adrian
KingHell
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 461
What's a CRB check?!
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 1,265
What's a CRB check?!

Adrian, meet the information age. Information age, meet a lazy git. biggrin
Adrian
KingHell
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 465
What's a CRB check?!

Adrian, meet the information age. Information age, meet a lazy git. biggrin

Ah very funny. I see what you did there.

Well they may be a thing of the past (or at least they'll have to dream up 3 different letters for the checks) after this:

BBC News: Judges rule CRB checks 'incompatible' with Human Rights Act
Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 536
That's because a lot of judges would fail any CRB checks.
Roger
user 33309642
London, GB
Post #: 148
I was out most of yesterday, hence late response... actually, the CRB check was a doddle, I did it online in a few minutes & forgot about it. It's now called something else (to get round the judge saying it's illegal?) but at least it applies to any "sensitive" job you might do now - in the past you had to do a new one whenever asked for each new situation.

Q. "Where do you think you came from?" A. (somewhat condensed) "A star." (ripple of excited puzzlement) "In the beginning the universe was mostly gas - condensed into stars - cooked up heavier elements <indicates room, self, earth> which formed into planets, chemistry, life, consciousness, humans." As the group finished a muslim girl could be heard muttering, I don't believe anyone could come from a star...

Q. "What happens when you die?" A. (also condensed) "This is a tough one. We're aware that we're going to die & everyone we know, which is dismaying, throughout history people have sought comfort, so created many stories about continuing in some way <glances at hindu on panel> it's comforting but there's no evidence for it. When you die you just stop." Room generally rather quiet after this.

I repeat, I don't think we converted anyone, that wasn't the point, but I hope the classes heard what we said & retain the awareness that there are other points of view & ways of life from the ones they have been indoctrinated into. Oh, and in one of the groups I was asked about scientology so of course I took the opportunity to rubbish it comprehensively.
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 1,267
Nice one Roger, thanks.

In the training session by 3ff, were you told what you would or wouldn't be allowed to say? For example, I'd want to say something about religion not being their choice, but the choice of their parents. Just to introduce the idea that they are not tied automatically, or forever, and can make a choice themselves.