addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
Stephen Y.
user 59793382
London, GB
Post #: 75
Have you ever been asked this question? Along with the term angry atheists, you have militant atheists, militant secularists etc. I even heard non beleivers referred to as tyrannical atheists on the bbc1's the big questions.

Here is Greta Cristina talking about WHY atheists have a right to be angry and not be told to not be.

Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 594
Such a good speaker.

Dave G.
user 84506752
London, GB
Post #: 9
Maybe we're angry because we're fed up of hitting our heads against brick walls of ignorance. Anyway, I prefer the term 'assertive atheism.
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 1,452
Maybe we're angry because we're fed up of hitting our heads against brick walls of ignorance. Anyway, I prefer the term 'assertive atheism.

Yep me too, Dave. I've seen this video by Greta Cristina before and agree with pretty much all of it as far as I can recall, and I can see why she choose to phrase it like that for the purposes of this talk. However in general assertive is so much better than angry or militant, which IMV just plays into the hands of those who want to shut us up. The problem is, no matter how softly or gently you voice your opinion, the religious (aided and abetted directly or indirectly by the pandering media and politicians) will try and frame it in perjorative terms as a means of keeping us quiet. That's why, if we get tactical too, and phrase arguments within a framework of reason (who wants to admit to being against reason?) I think we can beat them at their own game much more easily.
David S
hyponitrite
Shepperton, GB
Post #: 64
Great video!

She doesn't admit to being an engineer but she touches on the 'thermodynamics' of social change. Fire (anger) can be destructive but it can also be controlled to direct energy to where it's needed.

For me, it's the fire in the belly that raises motivation.

VI