London Atheist Activist Group (friendly community) Message Board 1. MAIN FORUM - (non-Islam) › Propaganda at University.

Propaganda at University.

Roger
user 33309642
London, GB
Post #: 198
Nasty Leonardo - working for BAE systems
Nice Leonardo - desperately trying to get a grant to do something useful
Cloe
golfwang
London, GB
Post #: 2
Perhaps the irony here is I'm actually an English student, also the faculty rep for AHS subjects. Rather than appeal to certain subjects I believe it just appeals to loons.
Someone has also added to my graffiti by faintly drawing an arrow of emphasis.
Someone else has also sketched on that the poster is 'b.s', oops, seems like I've started something. It's also settling to see that no one has taken any of the information slips attached to it.
Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 616
Looks like you own that poster!
WTG biggrin
Jason
SweynTUV
London, GB
Post #: 59
Perhaps the irony here is I'm actually an English student...

Yes, there's quite a bit of sniffiness in some atheist/skeptical circles about the arts/humanities but it's not an exclusive club for BScs. Yes it's important to understand how science works but you don't have to be a practicing scientist to understand the method. Scientists can sometimes be as guilty of lazy ad-hom attacks and appeals to authority as the merchants of woo. "You don't even know what a p value is, so you lose. Ha!"

Freethinking is open to anyone and it needs to be or the unenlightenment will roll right over us. So keep fighting the good fight among the arty types and don't take any bs from lab rats smile

Cloe
golfwang
London, GB
Post #: 3
Good news, they have finally accepted the request for me to form the society!
Let's hope it goes well and spreads an enlightening message.
frances j.
user 25760842
London, GB
Post #: 21
Never mind about uni - this is what I received through my internal WORK email!

The Prosecution Christian Fellowship presents:

“Be Inspired”
A Series of Workshops to
Inspire, Empower and Motivate
“We don’t want to simply survive or get through life. We believe that God offers us a way of living that enables us to get the most out of life.” PCF Vision

The ‘Be Inspired’ Series of Workshops will provide you with tools that will allow you to  turn your ideas into action by empowering you to use fear to propel you towards your dream,  turn any limiting beliefs into a wealth of possibilities, use stress as an energiser and boost your self-esteem. You will be supported by experienced empowerment coaches..

April – plan your future
July – action your ideas
November – implement your plan
March – track your achievements

Come and be inspired! Come and be a part of the ‘Daniel Circle’

First in the Series

An Audience with Mr Peter Lewis CB, CEO, Crown Prosecution Service
                        30th April 2013, 5:30 – 7:30 pm, Room 3:01
                       Rose Court, 2 Southwark Bridge Road, London, SE1 9HS

To register your attendance, please email: pcf@cps.gsi.gov.uk

Registrations close: Tuesday 23rd April 2013

Facilitated by Civil Service Accredited Empowerment Coaches: Pauline Curtis and Esther George

Apart from the proselytising nature of the email itself, why is a civil service dept offering life coaching to Xtians, endorsed by the CEO, on government premises?
This from an organisation which proudly claims to treat ALL it's employees equally. So why are Christians being offered an exclusive opportunity like this with the chance to chum up to the CEO?

I've referred it to the National Secular Society - I'm hopping mad about this!
Cloe
golfwang
London, GB
Post #: 4
Yet another update!
Apparently the religious societies have the most power and we are not allowed to, for example, put up a poster saying "Is there a god?" Or else the Islamic and Christian society will be offended. Yet they are allowed to flood the Uni with their statements. The society system it seems is run unfairly and they would get the Atheists shut down quickly if they were offended. It's madness! We aren't even allowed to debate it with the religious societies.
This is insanely backward. You aren't even allowed to openly question the existence of a higher power.
At least we are allowed a society. Sorry, rant over.
frances j.
user 25760842
London, GB
Post #: 22
Yet another update!
Apparently the religious societies have the most power and we are not allowed to, for example, put up a poster saying "Is there a god?" Or else the Islamic and Christian society will be offended. Yet they are allowed to flood the Uni with their statements. The society system it seems is run unfairly and they would get the Atheists shut down quickly if they were offended. It's madness! We aren't even allowed to debate it with the religious societies.
This is insanely backward. You aren't even allowed to openly question the existence of a higher power.

Sorry Cloe, are you saying you've been officially told that that you may not put up a poster asking "Is there a God"? If so, that's outrageous, discriminatory and probably a breach of your right to freedom of expression. Have you checked the constitution of the University to see what powers and obligations they have in relation to the setting up of Societies?
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 1,503
Yet another update!

Sorry Cloe, are you saying you've been officially told that that you may not put up a poster asking "Is there a God"? If so, that's outrageous, discriminatory and probably a breach of your right to freedom of expression. Have you checked the constitution of the University to see what powers and obligations they have in relation to the setting up of Societies?

Cloe, please let us know about this - if you wanted us to, we'll be willing to set up a demo or take other action outside the university if needs be, and maybe try and get other secular organisations involved as well. This cannot be allowed to happen angryangryangry
A former member
Post #: 10
I have tried to see where this university is in the trail of communications. Where is it? Utter discrimination and an affront to our precious liberty! Do these people not realise that the whole purpose of a university is the pursuit of truth? I would add my support to taking action against such blatant censorship.