London Atheist Activist Group (informal community) Message Board 1. MAIN FORUM - (non-Islam) › Exercise for philosophers

Exercise for philosophers

Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 1,562
From Valentin:

Exercise for philosophers:

If I believe in God, because he is my creator, I wander what God believes in.

And if he believes in me, does it mean that I'm his creator?

:-P

Philosophers can go around the table for ages with this.

But science guys, would say that this a stupid question in the first place, thus saving energy and useful time to build a better world for every living thing.
A former member
Post #: 58
If I believe in God because he is my creator, I wonder what God believes in. And if he believes in me, does it mean that I'm his creator?

Okay, I’ll kick off the debate: I think the problem with these supposedly philosophical questions is the terminology. Philosophers need to be exact in their use of and understanding of the terms posited. To ‘believe’ something is to accept a statement, supposition or opinion without the necessity for evidence, whereas to know something presupposes evidence. Furthermore, the opening statement presumes that belief in god depends upon the act of creation, whereas, since we are talking about ‘belief’, one may do so for entirely whimsical reasons without the precondition of creation. There is also a supposition that god has a belief: ‘I wonder what’ rather than ‘I wonder if’, and clearly as no evidence is cited, speculation about the illusory subject of any beliefs is clearly unanswerable. But, if we play along with the propositions for entertainment’s sake, the simple answer is that it is not necessary for a god to believe in a proposer for the proposer to have created the god, nor vice versa.

Essentially, though, the following statement is most likely to be true:

“...science guys would say that this a stupid question in the first place, thus saving energy and useful time to build a better world for every living thing.”