London Atheist Activist Group (informal community) Message Board 1. MAIN FORUM - (non-Islam) › Good news club indoctrinates children from 5-14yr olds

Good news club indoctrinates children from 5-14yr olds

Brian
roy23
London, GB
Post #: 76
Dear Cheryl,
I agree "contrary to his warning that some people might find part of his talk "a bit dry", I don't. I find him a new and exciting voice in the world of public atheist discourse"
He is right to discuss their faith and beliefs.

I especially like his.............
Do you believe jesus walked on water?
yes i do
*ok so how certain are you, what is your confidence value in that belief? 100% high 90´s ?

This is great can be applied to flying horses ..................
and do you believe the koran is perfect in every word and unalterable.
*ok .............
regards Brian
Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 676
...and the logic can be extended.
"So God created the universe and everything in it? So he is what we call an 'extra terrestrial alien creature'; and you are happy to sing his praises as he requires? A requirement to be praised is what we class as a 'symptom of a psychologically problem'; but you're happy to pray to him? Prayer - that's an attempt to send a 'one way telepathic message' isn't it? So let me summarise: You feel very happy sending one way telepathic messages to an invisible psychologically disturbed alien creature you haven't actually met called Yachweh, God or Allah - depending on what your parents and/or friends believe."

IMHO these delusions should be treatable under the NHS.
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 1,685

Should this be recommended before attending Sundays speakers corner meet? or a separate topic? it is a bit long but good (Ginny , Adrian?)
Cheryl and Brian, this is great stuff isn't it?! Thanks to both of you - it deserves to be in our new reference Forum. And yes, I think it would be great for anyone who is intending to debate at Speakers corner on Sunday - will post it there too.
David S
hyponitrite
Shepperton, GB
Post #: 91
An interesting thread and one guaranteed to raise your blood pressure but I'm (an ex science teacher) always uncomfortable with the concept of using science or the scientific method to replace religion.

Sure, there is all manner of nonsense to be found in the established religions and rightly that should be debunked, but you'll have a task on your hands to persuade the non-scientific population (i.e. the majority) that ultimately there is no point or purpose to life; it's a natural phenomenon doomed to extinction on this planet as our sun ages, so you might as well make the most of it while you can. Because for many, there are aspects of religious belief that satisfy a need to find a purpose to their existence.

Someone earlier used the term 'inoculation' in the context of indoctrinating children; there's a good analogy here. Children who grow up to reject religion (as recent polls suggest is on the increase) are very unlikely to revert to 'the fold'; they have been successfully inoculated against it. Young children in particular are better at memorizing than rationalizing and I may be so bold to suggest that teaching them certain 'traditional' nursery rhymes may be more socially reprehensible than most new testament Christianity which at least is not overtly cruel. With maturity comes independence of thought - admittedly, not for all; there are some who will always need God's crutches to get by.
David S
hyponitrite
Shepperton, GB
Post #: 92
I was, of course, speaking as an old man who doesn't say his prayers and is in constant dread of meeting a self-righteous 5-year old who may throw me down the stairs.
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 1,690
Young children in particular are better at memorizing than rationalizing and I may be so bold to suggest that teaching them certain 'traditional' nursery rhymes may be more socially reprehensible than most new testament Christianity which at least is not overtly cruel.
Hello V.I,

Nice to have you back on the forum.

Agree with what you say above, though I think both nursery rhymes and many of not most traditions (file under "Aw, but it's just a sweet tradition, it doesn't do any harm") and religious practices such as christenings and religious 'teachings' (file under "Aw, but it's part of our cultural heritage, it doesn't do any harm") are equally as reprehensible.

Many atheists/humanists have a disconnect between mindless tradition and mindless religion, but IMV they are part of the same virus - taking advantage of a child's programming and vulnerability to believe what is told by adults, and the human propensity to cling onto what has been absorbed in childhood as 'good' - nostalgia's rose coloured filter that also usually stops the brain functioning. There must be some better nursery rhymes by now though?
Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 680
...but you'll have a task on your hands to persuade the non-scientific population (i.e. the majority) that ultimately there is no point or purpose to life
Sadly true - although I'd say: -
1. The purpose of life is to survive and reproduce (genetics shows us this)
2. The meaning of life is entirely up to you

Not the answers people want to hear - but then who said that the answers would be? Sadly - The Ists.

I also like the phrase: Life is the dead on holiday
Which is a bit deep/profound, but I think people would get a better moral compass if they embraced that idea than if they read the drivel in religious books. End of war and all that.