London Atheist Activist Group (informal community) Message Board "HOW TO HELP PEOPLE OUT OF FAITH" - Non confrontational manner, Peter Boghossian › STEP 2: More videos and links, plus AMAZON link to "A Manual for Creati

STEP 2: More videos and links, plus AMAZON link to "A Manual for Creating Atheists"

Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 1,686
We're delighted that Dr Peter Boghossian has joined the group and is now 'officially' this group's mentor (for those who want to learn his method to inoculate against the faith virus (using "micro inoculations of critical thinking")) laughing LOVE that phrase!.

1/ Here's the AMAZON Link to pre-order PB's book 'Manual for Creating Atheists'

2/ Below you will find many HIGHLY useful and interesting links. We cannot recommend the contents of this thread enough. It's one of the most important threads in the whole site.

3/ You'll also find you'll also find video highlights from our first special 'FAITH VIRUS' event 14/8/13 (a series of these events will be coming up next year)

From PB:

WOULD YOU FLY IN A FAITH-BASED AEROPLANE? No, of course not. If you wouldn't fly in a faith-based plane, why would you want to formulate a social institution based on faith? Why is it that we give more credence to values that come from a faith-based process when we formulate institutions and laws and conventions, but we don't in technology?

Peter Boghossian:

"There are entire bodies of literature, training camps, pamphlets, organisations that teach people how to talk others into faith. There's nothing that does the opposite, until now ...

"The faithful are not well cognitively, they need our help. They've caught a virus of an unreliable way to know the world. An epistemological sickness. Believing things from faith causes people to misconstrue what is good for them, and what is good for others. If someone is ill, you are not upset with them. Therefore it is not about being annoyed, or humiliating the religious any more than if they had a cold. But as with a physical illness, you try and help them recover, with compassion and understanding.

This is not about changing beliefs but about leading them gently to think about HOW they form those beliefs.

This YouTube talk below is a MUST-SEE:

http://youtu.be/orW1A...­

Or transcript]

Also highly recommended this podcast (Talking about how the lefty PC brigade/accommodationists are a BIG part of the problem)

Pretending to know things you don't know

And yet more good stuff:

1. "Jesus, The Easter Bunny and Other Delusions: Just Say No!"

2. "Faith: Pretending to know things you don't know"

3. "Critical Thinking Crash Course"

4. FFRF Convention 2012 speech "Question your own beliefs"

Peter on Facebook:
Peter on Twitter:
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 2,034
Video highlights from our first special 'FAITH VIRUS' event 14/8/13 (a series of these events will be coming up next year)

LAAG Q&A with Peter Boghossian Aug 2013

Jason
SweynTUV
London, GB
Post #: 313
Peter B has suggested that we might want to take a look at his TAM talk from earlier this year. It's a rare thing to find yourself agreeing with every point a speaker makes but I really think that Peter is bang on here. Authenticity should be our aim and our best resource.

** And George Hrab there showing us de-facto MCs how it should be done smile
Roger
user 33309642
London, GB
Post #: 431
My favourite sentence from the talk is:

"The easiest person to fool is yourself"
Stephen Y.
user 59793382
London, GB
Post #: 224
I just pre ordered my copy for £10 with free super saver delivery!
It's got some very good reviews on the us amazon where it it out already. Obviously, there is the odd one or two who would prefer that the situation remains the same, and atheists not try to help believers give up their irrational beliefs. However, with the believers in power, making laws that affect us all it is in our interest to help them think more rationally. They have absolutely no qualms about trying to brainwash, convert and even abuse vulnerable people and non believers. It's about time we started fighting back!

http://www.amazon.com...­
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 2,103
It is disrespectful in my view to call someone the 2nd so and so, as though they're a pale copy of an original, but I am so tempted to call Peter the second Hitch. And of course I mean it in a very complimentary way. He's frank in his own way, different style but the same result - forthright, just not accepting any shit from anyone. Neither are 'better' than the other but both are awesome. I so miss the Hitch Slap, but I think we may have found the ..."Pete Wallop"?
Cloe
golfwang
London, GB
Post #: 136
I am so tempted to call Peter the second Hitch.

The Peter Punch? Peter Beater?
Roger
user 33309642
London, GB
Post #: 432
But surely one of the cornerstones of the PB method is that it is non-violent? Attempting to place people in such a position that they trip over their own shoelaces, so to speak.
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 2,106
Yes, quite right Roger. I guess "Boghossian shot" is more apt? ...as in a micro injection of critical thinking? ...anyway, makes for a good competition methinks, to link in with PB's book coming out this month.

And I also liked this that PB posted : "Forthright speech is a good strategy for developing genuine relationships".

Couldn't agree more. I postulate that we should forget about PC and instead go for SR - Social Responsibility - and that includes forthright speaking when people talk crap, are religious apologists etc etc.
Roger
user 33309642
London, GB
Post #: 441
Amazon tells me that I bought it on the 31st of October, it hasn't been published yet and they may deliver it on Wednesday. Nearly as contradiction-dense as the bible!