London Atheist Activist Group (informal community) Message Board 1. MAIN FORUM - (non-Islam) › Not Good News from Kiwiland

Not Good News from Kiwiland

Roger
user 33309642
London, GB
Post #: 292
rodney k.
user 91786232
London, GB
Post #: 9
I migrated to NZ in 1955 and lived there till 1960, it was a cultural backwater then with a band of hope on every street corner in Auckland each Saturday. The pubs closed at 6 pm each day and everything all day Sunday. I think like UK and Aust, things are gradually improving there, two steps forward, one back.
I think we have to accept that there will always be stupid people, but that doesn't mean we have to suffer them.
A former member
Post #: 90
This makes my blood boil.

I was pulled out of my school's religious instruction by my mother who was a different flavour of Christian crazy. Instead I went to the library and read books! Additionally I went to court to try and keep my son out of a catholic school. The NZ court ruled against me even though I was offering to put my son through a private school!

The NZ government really needs to address this and reign in the religious idiots in the education system.

As to NZ being behind the UK! I used to think that also until I came to the UK. While I love the UK it lags behind NZ in some very key areas. State owned enterprises privatised the NZ postal industry a long time ago. When you go and collect a parcel in NZ you walk up to a counter with someone capable of moving faster than a centimetre (inch in imperial UK) per minute, waiting to give you your parcel. Try doing that in the UK!!!!!

Hydropower was introduced in the 1960 / 70's and provides a significant part of NZ energy reducing the dependency on fossil fuels.

and ..................... try getting a fricken meal in London after 11:00 pm. In major cities in NZ I could always find and restaurant open until 3:00 am.

The reason NZ is not keeping up with the atheist movements is that they have not experienced on their own soil religious campaigns like the IRA and Islamic militants!!!!!!!!!!
rodney k.
user 91786232
London, GB
Post #: 10
Well said Paul, yes I am out of date, I haven't been back there since I sailed there from Sydney in 1975so I am pleased to learn that things have sped up.
A former member
Post #: 91
Still both places are great to live. Ideally 6 months over summer in both places would be ideal!