London Atheist Activist Group (friendly community) Message Board 1. MAIN FORUM - (non-Islam) › A list of atheists who are not middle aged white males!

A list of atheists who are not middle aged white males!

Roger
user 33309642
London, GB
Post #: 293
A former member
Post #: 92
Wow I know someone on the list!

Went through twice and couldn't find Georginny on the list! What up wid dat mo'er?
Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 722
Dunno. Mebbe they scared of kat herders.
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 1,812
In all seriousness, like many of us, I am a reluctant activist in the sense that I only got involved because it became obvious that if we didn't do it, no one else would. I don't promote myself - only the cause - and I actively try NOT to appear on TV, radio, youtube etc though it would be all too easy, especially as a non white woman to do so. Here's a case in point - "Mina Ahadi set up the German Council of Ex-Muslims, and now lives under police protection."

I don't want to put myself in that position but at the same time I don't feel like I could live with myself if I did nothing - I'm sure that's the case for many of us. Whilst I actually agree with its remit, the old atheist group in London was IMO doing harm for atheism by portraying atheism as a lack of warmth and without engendering a community feeling. And by censoring - something that should be anathma to atheistic principles. And humanism is a good and necessary prong to the atheism cause, and I think what we're trying to do here is complementary, but is not the same thing.

So those of us who founded LAAG I think did it from a sense of responsibility, rather than a for the sake of a club or lifestyle, and I think many of our stalwart members feel the same way. I'd rather the atheist label disappeared, like the label abolitionist has after it became the default position - but it won't happen by itself so we have no choice in a sense, but to put ourselves out there with LAAG and other similar activist groups that discuss frankly and openly as well as getting out there and have conversations with the religious. The nice side effect is that we can make friends and interact with intelligent, compassionate people... and even have fun while we do it! Our remit with this group shouldn't be a problem for anyone anyway - after all we are not 'forcing' atheism on anyone, simply asking that people be ALLOWED to think for themselves. But still... the religious aren't always logical are they?shock