Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 1,815
Founded : 22 May 2012

LAAG Organisers Team (LOT) ...(AKA 'Cat herders!): Adrian, Georgi (Main Contacts) and Graham, Jason S, Kieron, Martyn, Roger C

non-policy organisers: Adam, Cloe - 'Initiations Organiser' ;-)

Remit: A friendly COMMUNITY - Peaceful Promotion and Celebration of Reason & Critical thinking. COMMUNITY and ACTIVISM are our two primary goals (but no pressure on our members - By simply joining this group, you are helping already, even if you're a silent member! :-))

We want::
a/ One Law For All

b/ Removal of Religious Privilege, ...but also Separation of State and Superstitions (so that Faith is not an officially validated position)

c/ Change of the Human Rights act to 'Human Rights AND RESPONSIBILITIES'

d/ Human rights, particularly childrens' rights to be above religious rites ALWAYS

Our main activism goal: Inoculating against the faith virus with critical thinking in order to stop abuse of mind and body from forced religion. Peter Boghossian challenging of the faith virus with a sincere and compassionate 'helping people out of faith' approach.

Approach: Warm, Friendly, Compassionate, Informal, Challenging of "it's always been done like this", frank, unhindered, uncensored, no white-washing of forums and/or discussions. Not blindly 'PC'. Irreverent when called for! Liberal use of humour, sarcasm and strong language when called for! (This site is for free-thinking grown-ups, not "the children's table" ;-))

PAH! to: box-ticking, tokenism, no politics or religion 'rule', solemnity...and "who are we to say"-itis (instead our maxim is "who are we to stay silent")!

Core values::
People should have human rights AND RESPONSIBILITIES.

People have human rights ( & responsibilities), Ideas do not/should not. Religion/Faith is JUST an IDEA (albeit a terrible one), not a special category requiring privileges and exemptions.

Faith is a vice in virtue's clothing.

To Sum Up: We are vigourous and serious in challenging faith's/religion's ills, but not solemn. A day without laughter is a day wasted!smile. Celebration of reason and community is also important. The two are not mutually exclusive! ...In fact, in our view community and humour BOTH encourage activism.

We encourage support of other secular groups/ organisations to progress reason. We collaborate with SBAS and CLHG groups, and also support the remits (though not always the methods!) of: Atheist &Humanist Students (AHS), BHA, Council of Ex-muslims of Britain (CEMB), Center for Inquiry (CFI), London Black Atheists (LBA), London Ex-Muslims, Lawyers Secular Society (LSS), NationalSecularSociety (NSS), SecularMedicalFoundation (SMF), and SenseAboutScience.org (However we do not tolerate censorship, including when it is in any of these organisations - it should surely an anathema for anyone who values open debate and free expression. Similarly, we are against accomodationism, staying silent, or not supporting opposition of religious/faith privilege and exclusions)

Roger
user 33309642
London, GB
Post #: 300
All of the above.
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 1,816
Changed the wording a bit ...
Cloe
golfwang
London, GB
Post #: 68
However in the words of Woody Allen (well sort of)..
I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member.
Roger
user 33309642
London, GB
Post #: 301
Groucho!
Jarvis L.
user 105997992
London, GB
Post #: 3
Oi !!! What about me ...I was at the Organisers' meeting! And let's face it, you organisers need lessons on how to herd cats! Yeah, right ...good luck with that one.

Here are my lessons so far:

Lesson1:

Lesson 2:

Cats don't give a fig for permission!