London Atheist Activist Group (friendly community) Message Board 1. MAIN FORUM - (non-Islam) › atheism evidence reason - coming to knowledge

atheism evidence reason - coming to knowledge

Andrew
evidence-reason
London, GB
Post #: 1
Faith is a claim about knowledge. If someone says they have faith in something, they are claiming to have some knowledge about that thing.

People who build airplanes need knowledge to make sure the passengers are as safe as possible. They don’t use faith to try get to that knowledge. They use science.

When we have a medical emergency, we take people to a science based hospital, not a place of faith.

The scientific method has so far proven most accurate. It uses evidence and reason and specific testing methods that are defined and repeatable for all to see.

In our view the scientific method is the best way to come to knowledge. Faith is a very unreliable way.

www.facebook.com/atheismevidencereason­
A former member
Post #: 4
Faith is a claim about knowledge based on no evidence at all. Or in some religious people said to be based on "evidence" that would not be accepted as such if examined using the scientific method, i.e. mythology books thousands of years old.

The more evidence is lacking the greater the use of faith is encouraged by those in control of the belief system i.e. priests etc. in the believers. Not only is this unscientific it also goes against everyday common sense. And the approach would be considered nonsensical if applied in other areas of life.

Mind you it is a great way for control freaks to have power over people without having to have any accountability. No wonder it has proved so attractive to some child abusers.

Great post by the way!

Fiona
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 1,860
Faith is a claim about knowledge. If someone says they have faith in something, they are claiming to have some knowledge about that thing.

People who build airplanes need knowledge to make sure the passengers are as safe as possible. They don’t use faith to try get to that knowledge. They use science.

When we have a medical emergency, we take people to a science based hospital, not a place of faith.

The scientific method has so far proven most accurate. It uses evidence and reason and specific testing methods that are defined and repeatable for all to see.

In our view the scientific method is the best way to come to knowledge. Faith is a very unreliable way.

Welcome to the forums, Andrew and Fiona. Yes, wouldn't it be great if we could get people to understand this!

Andrew, I have a feeling this post is as a result of the discussion with 'the stick man' on Sunday, at the Speakers Corner Pre-meet? Not sure who he is, as he jokingly refused to give his name, and has apparently also lost his password for the site. But that description of faith in science was very peculiar wasn't it! I think he was mixing up the way the way the word faith is used in everyday language, with the actual meaning, and what he means is perhaps confidence rather than faith. I tend to point that out in conversations now. I have faith in you is actually not a compliment when you think about it, as it means I have no reason to trust you but I will anyway. Whereas switch faith for confidence and that's a much better inference.

Somewhat weird to apply it to the scientific method as 'the stick man' (as he named himself) was doing??! I think most of us threw our hands up at that point, haha!
Right Rev. Richard...
TheRightDickEd
Godalming, GB
Post #: 26
Not quite true. Amish Airlines flew their first inter-village flight during the 1930s using an aircraft built entirely in the faith that it would fly. All the scientific Amish boarded that flight which, sadly, due to the Will of God, crashed. Which is why the Amish do not fly anymore. They no longer have faith in air travel.

Note quite true. The Jehovah's Witnesses are renown for leaving large pools of blood and gore and even dead bodies in their churches from members having been struck down by the Will of God. These people, quite wisely, allow their kin to die horrible slow deaths because God Wills it. To deny God His sadistic pleasures is a sin.

Ah but Faith is much easier to arrive at our 'Truth'. Cheaper too. And we can even invent whatever evidence we like to confound the scientists.

Remember, science doesn't know everything, whereas blind faith can claim it does.

Praise The Lord!