London Atheist Activist Group (friendly community) Message Board 1. MAIN FORUM - (non-Islam) › September Competition - platitudes and exclamations!

September Competition - platitudes and exclamations!

Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 1,899
OMG!

Instead of vapid religion-based platitudes, can we come up with pithy or amusing non religious/atheist sayings, expletive, exclamations etc ?

E.g. I love Rich F's "popeing custard!" as an expletive. Ticks boxes on many levels!devilish
Andre
user 65942292
London, GB
Post #: 17
For dogs' sake! (who would deny that dog loves you?)
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 1,904
(who would deny that dog loves you?)
laughing

A bit obvious but as an expletive quite suitable "buggering bishops" . Sounds that can be delivered with an alliterated bile!
Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 763
"Buggering Blackshirted Bishops Batman! The Pope's Perverted Priests are praying on those poor pubescent pupils!"
"You're right Robin. This evil must stop. Now if only there was some way to counter his popeshite."
"And what about his Pope-Mobile Batman?"
"We need an ally Robin. Put out a call for ... Cat Herder and 'King'ell. We need to PUNish them."
"Yes Batman! That's it! Let's let the lippy LAAGers of London lay lots of logical language on the..."
"Seriously Robin! Are you gay or what?"
"Well ... I used to be a choirboy."
"THAT explains a lot!"
Adrian
KingHell
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 792
I'm pretty sure the clergy say "children should be obscene and not heard" behind closed doors!
Roger
user 33309642
London, GB
Post #: 365
An odd task this, finding exclamations, etc. for athes. Most exclamations are either religious (taking the lord's name in vain, etc) or mentioning some subject that's anathema; scatological or sexual. I don't think us athes hold anything so sacred that it's offensive to us to curse with it ("Oh Darwin it!" or "By Dawkins!") and I guess that we're generally much less uptight about matters sexual than the orthodoxy (the ortho doxy?) So that just leaves us with shit. Shit!
Adrian
KingHell
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 793
Good point Roger. I've tended to go for things like 'holy fuck' which obviously amuses me greatly and likely will offend someone who has no business being offended.

However when people started putting OMG on texts and suchlike it annoyed me. Then they started doing OMFG so I would respond with OYFG. I plan to get that in big letters on a t-shirt!

OYFG
Andre
user 65942292
London, GB
Post #: 18
in Spain they say Me cago en la Madre. That means I shit on Our Lady (it's actually the Mother, so perhaps you could use the Mother of God). Anyway, given certain linguistics habits of English-speaking people, we could say maybe, "Me cago en la Goodness"
Rose
user 53882812
London, GB
Post #: 209
Some religious phrases are surprisingly apt for atheists: I love the phrase "God-awful".