London Atheist Activist Group (informal community) Message Board ONGOING CAMPAIGNS REMIT 3: SECULAR STATE (Divorce State from Superstition!) › "George can be Buddhist if he wants", says Archbishop in "rem

"George can be Buddhist if he wants", says Archbishop in "remarkable" statement... after our feudal overlord's tribal ceremony

Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 2,096
From the Daily Fail: George can be Buddhist if he wants, says Archbishop in remarkable statement after Prince's christening

Archbishop of Canterbury said would not object to the Prince converting
( archtwat thinks he is being 'right-on')

Most Reverend Justin Welby spoke a day after he led the christening (most irrelevant Welby took the opportunity for some self-serving publicity after conducting a medievil tribal ceremony where the rights of the child are given away without his consent)

Said Prince George 'perfectly entitled' to change his religion (stated the bleedin' obvious about our unelected feudal overlord, which trying to score points for being magnanimous)

Remark likely to alarm traditionalists as monarch is 'Defender of the Faith'
( the more pertinent questions would be "what doesn't 'alarm' or 'offend' traditionalists", why is the State sponsoring a vice (faith)?

Of course the archdick doesn't say anything about atheism ( though the DF may not have reported it).

Charlie has a "fascination" with Islam. Yep ... gawd help us!
And here's more:

The monarch has been known by the title Defender of the Faith ever since it was bestowed on Henry VIII by the Pope in 1521 for his early support for Roman Catholicism.

Any change would, however, require Parliament to amend the 1953 Royal Titles Act, which came into law after changes were made for the Queen’s Coronation in the same year.

In his or her coronation oath the monarch also promises to maintain the Church – a vow that the present Queen takes very seriously.

Archbishops and bishops are appointed by the monarch on the advice of the Prime Minister, who in turn considers the names selected by a Church Commission.

They in turn take an oath of allegiance to The Queen on appointment – as do parish priests – and may not resign without receiving royal authority.

In other words, in order to have a secular State, the monarchy needs to be reformed. But the politicians will never do it, cos they get automatic and obviously lucrative peerages etc when they leave government. So we have a tripod, where 2 legs prop up the other two for their own self serving means.
EDIT: I mean we have a tripod of State, Monarchy and Church - all in cahoots to keep the status quo and their own status and privileges.
Roger
user 33309642
London, GB
Post #: 428
Charlie of course broke ranks a few years ago by declaring that he would become "Defender of Faith".
http://www.telegraph....­
Adrian
KingHell
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 868
In other words, in order to have a secular State, the monarchy needs to be reformed. But the politicians will never do it, cos they get automatic and obviously lucrative peerages etc when they leave government. So we have a tripod, where 2 legs prop up the other two for their own self serving means.
EDIT: I mean we have a tripod of State, Monarchy and Church - all in cahoots to keep the status quo and their own status and privileges.
It's a catch22, like organisations that become dated but rely on a democratic committee process to function (like unions, associations, societies). It's inevitable. They become outdated and then find it impossible to reform because the people who have joined like the outdated version, which is the one they actively joined, and will almost never vote to change it.
Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 805
Look carefully into the baby's eyes. It is in fact a radical Muslim with just a hint of spicy Hindu (towards his lower left leg).

I can assure you this prognosis is absolutely accurate because, like the twat in a dress, I have absolute faith that what I say is right.
Richard F
user 2543752
London, GB
Post #: 1,103
I wonder what would happen if he decided to have no faith at all!!!!!