addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

London Atheist Activist Group (informal community) Message Board 1. MAIN FORUM - (non-Islam) › Scientology gets official recognition as a 'bona fide' religion

Scientology gets official recognition as a 'bona fide' religion

Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 2,201
Supreme court rules Scientology chapel is a place of worship, paving way for marriages and acceptance of creed as a religion

Guardian

This I found chilling - the old 'equality' schtick: Paul Hewitt, a partner at the law firm Withers, said the judgment was "a victory for the equal treatments of religions in the modern world".

(The excellent Steve Furst pointed out on TV, relating to this article that " of course anyone who believes in a religion of any sort is a bit (cuckoo gesture))". Glad to see people ARE saying this stuff on TV now at least. And we're part of that - each one of us by talking about it to our friends etc makes atheism just that one little step more the 'norm', IMO
David S
hyponitrite
Shepperton, GB
Post #: 185
Mathematically speaking ...

scientology + islam + christianity + jedai knights + ... (infinite series) = crap.

MI
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 2,207
Well quite, MI. The equality thing for scientology means a precedent where more and more,( then meaning every?) version of this crap gets tax breaks and State sanctioning to spread more varieties of crap - and at our expense both financially, morally, and in every other way that I can think of.
Brian
roy23
London, GB
Post #: 155
I had hoped that us Brits would not fall for the scientology scam.
We have much work to do!
David S
hyponitrite
Shepperton, GB
Post #: 186
The bit about tax breaks is less clear; some sects do not qualify on the grounds of exclusivity, i.e. the general public are not "beneficiaries" of the organisation's "charity". I seem to remember the Plymouth Brethren fell into that category.

MI
Kieron
user 12766064
London, GB
Post #: 114
My understanding was that one of the principal reason Scientology wasn't recognised as a religion in this country was because religions have to be 'open'. With Scientology, potential followers don't know what they are getting in to until they join. I heard one interviewed on the radio the other day, and true to form the Scientologist wouldn't disclosed much about the cult, his recommendation was that if you want to know more, then sign up to a course to find out. The course fee was £50-00.

So, not the end of the story by any means.
Richard F
user 2543752
London, GB
Post #: 1,129
One way of stopping this is to insist on a summary of their belief systems with the application to becoming a religion. Scientology wouldn't dare make their mythology official. It would seriously damage their front group recruitment.
Adrian
KingHell
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 937
As someone said online the other day, recognising scientology as a religion means it can now officially be considered complete bollocks along with all the others!
Steve
lawlorsteve
Purley, GB
Post #: 949
Bona fide just means ex-cult. All religions used to be a cult. The list just got one bigger. Apart from that, nothing has changed. They still don't make sense.

Steve.

As someone said online the other day, recognising scientology as a religion means it can now officially be considered complete bollocks along with all the others!

Kieron
user 12766064
London, GB
Post #: 117
Bona fide just means ex-cult. All religions used to be a cult. The list just got one bigger. Apart from that, nothing has changed. They still don't make sense.

Steve.

Not sure about them being ex cults,,?,, Once a cult always a cult as far as I'm concerned ;-)