Roger
user 33309642
London, GB
Post #: 521
Apparently the "Counsel for Learning Outside the Classroom" has awarded their "Quality Badge" to that bleedin' creationist zoo/farm. I wrote them a very irate email, I can tell you, I can almost feel their toes curling up in their socks in embarrassment. Feel free to do likewise.

http://www.thewestonm...­

http://www.lotc.org.u...­
Paul R
user 125582952
London, GB
Post #: 9
I've absolutely livid about this. Basically it's giving an award for lying to children, it's a total disgrace.

Andrew Copson and Alice Roberts have already sent a letter of protest to Michael Gove which you can read about here:

https://humanism.org....­

I will certainly be writing in protest to the LOTC. As well as the link Roger posted there is an LOTC Quality Badge contact form which is here:

http://lotcqualitybad...­

I'm also be writing to my MP and Gove about this
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 2,326
Sharing your lividness ...lividity?...er ...anger.

I feel (another!) campaign coming on...
Paul R
user 125582952
London, GB
Post #: 10
Emails have been sent to CLOTC, my MP and Gove. If I receive replies I will post them.
Paul R
user 125582952
London, GB
Post #: 13
I've had replies from the DES and my MP (see below). The DES reply is easy to sum up as "It's got nothing to with us". In contrast the reply from James Brokenshire is quite encouraging as he's going to write to David Laws MP about the issue.
--------------------------------------­----

Thank you for your email on the Quality Badge and the Noah's Ark School. It may be helpful if I set out some of the background on the Government's view of the teaching of creationism.

I believe that it is important that pupils understand different religions as it is a crucial part of learning about the world and about the rich diversity of faiths and communities in the UK. Children need to understand the role of religion and its part in shaping the values and traditions of this country. However, the Department for Education has made it clear that creationism has no place in any science curriculum and should not be taught as a valid scientific alternative to scientific theories. Creationism does not accord with the consensus of the scientific community or the very large body of established scientific evidence. There is scope for pupils to discuss beliefs about the origins of the Earth and living things, such as creationism, in religious education, as long as it is not presented as a valid alternative to established scientific theory.

Under the Government's planned reforms to school inspection, there will be a stronger focus on teaching. Teachers will be expected to demonstrate that their subject knowledge is secure. If creationism is being taught as a scientific fact in science or any other areas of the curriculum outside denominational RE and collective worship, this would be noted in the Ofsted report.

On the subject of the Quality Badge Scheme, it is worth noting that the initiative was set up by the previous Government and the current Government has made no recent assessment on the effectiveness of it. However, I will write to the Minister for Schools, Rt. Hon. David Laws MP, in order to obtain more details on the scheme and to highlight the points you have raised. I shall let you know what response I receive.

Yours sincerely,

James Brokenshire
Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 850
Did anyone point out that the story of Noah's Ark does NOT originate from the bible, but is actually a story retold, probably even pre-dating the ancient Babylonian version from the stories of Gilgamesh?

I doubt it.

Very little in Christianity is actually original. Most of it is copied and adapted from earlier religions.

Besides, isn't the Noah's Ark story actually a celebration of a God committing needless genocide?

...and these believers in a murderous sky-spirit get a 'Quality Badge'. <sigh>
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 2,346
I've had replies from the DES and my MP (see below). The DES reply is easy to sum up as "It's got nothing to with us". In contrast the reply from James Brokenshire is quite encouraging as he's going to write to David Laws MP about the issue.
--------------------------------------­----

Thank you for your email on the Quality Badge and the Noah's Ark School. It may be helpful if I set out some of the background on the Government's view of the teaching of creationism.

I believe that it is important that pupils understand different religions as it is a crucial part of learning about the world and about the rich diversity of faiths and communities in the UK. Children need to understand the role of religion and its part in shaping the values and traditions of this country. However, the Department for Education has made it clear that creationism has no place in any science curriculum and should not be taught as a valid scientific alternative to scientific theories. Creationism does not accord with the consensus of the scientific community or the very large body of established scientific evidence. There is scope for pupils to discuss beliefs about the origins of the Earth and living things, such as creationism, in religious education, as long as it is not presented as a valid alternative to established scientific theory.

Under the Government's planned reforms to school inspection, there will be a stronger focus on teaching. Teachers will be expected to demonstrate that their subject knowledge is secure. If creationism is being taught as a scientific fact in science or any other areas of the curriculum outside denominational RE and collective worship, this would be noted in the Ofsted report.

On the subject of the Quality Badge Scheme, it is worth noting that the initiative was set up by the previous Government and the current Government has made no recent assessment on the effectiveness of it. However, I will write to the Minister for Schools, Rt. Hon. David Laws MP, in order to obtain more details on the scheme and to highlight the points you have raised. I shall let you know what response I receive.

Yours sincerely,

James Brokenshire
Hi Paul,

Thanks for posting the response.

'Funny' that he says "There is scope for pupils to discuss beliefs about the origins of the Earth and living things, such as creationism, in religious education, as long as it is not presented as a valid alternative to established scientific theory". But then also says " If creationism is being taught as a scientific fact in science or any other areas of the curriculum outside denominational RE and collective worship, this would be noted in the Ofsted report"

So to decode political speak, he seems to be saying "Well I guess we have to be seen to be going with the scientists, old chap, but if the blighters teach creationism and represent evolution wrongly, not much we can do really - don't worry - it will be noted! What ho!"

NOTED? Hmm, that'll have the faith schools et al quaking in their boots won't it? As usual it's a half-arsed 'regulation' that evidently isn't enforced. What's the damn point of it then?

Noted ...Then what consequences are there? A big fat zero, evidently since it is still happening. Dawkins documentary showed it happening, and Jonny Scaramanga has personal experience and will be expanding on it at tomorrow's talk. In one of his pieces he's written "Organisations that ought to be holding these schools to account failing to protect the childrens’ interests. UK NARIC, the international qualifications comparison body, actually maintains that ACE-based qualifications are the equal of A-levels. The inspectorate ought to send a clear message to parents and staff at these schools that the current standard of instruction is unacceptable. We need scrutiny, not legislation."

But good Job Paul, at least they're discussing it now and we can then ask for more than just meaningless legislation.