London Atheist Activist Group (informal community) Message Board ONGOING CAMPAIGNS REMIT 2: CHILD & ANIMAL RIGHTS (over religious rites!) › Alice Roberts newsclip on creationist schools (mentioning Jonny Scaramanga)

Alice Roberts newsclip on creationist schools (mentioning Jonny Scaramanga)

Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 2,366
Notice how Francis Maude (cabinet Office minister) doesn't want to apply the legislation that does exist and weasels about talking about parents rights. Fuck children's rights eh Francis, especially if parents are wealthy enough to effectively buy their own laws.

Jason
SweynTUV
London, GB
Post #: 418
The Tories seem to want to take us back to the days when a child was not a person but the property of a parent to do with more or less as they choose. The child has no right to transparency about what they are being taught, it's ok for them to be kept completely in the dark about the scientific consensus or else told that the fact that godless scientists believe something only emphasises how bad and false it is. As long as it's all transparent that they are teaching BS parents can teach their children what the hell they like. If there wanted evidence that ACE was harming children why not just test some to see how scientifically literate they are? Child abuse plain and simple.
Roger
user 33309642
London, GB
Post #: 543
It's about time someone added the "A" word to this argument.
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 2,368
It's about time someone added the "A" word to this argument.
You mean the "rights" of atheist parents?
Roger
user 33309642
London, GB
Post #: 545
No, the "A" I was thinking of was "abuse" - to tell children lies about the world is a form of abuse.
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 2,372
No, the "A" I was thinking of was "abuse" - to tell children lies about the world is a form of abuse.
Indeed. But the politicos will never admit it's a lie will they. Even the atheist ones skirt around the issue and say stuff like "of course everyone has/is entitled to their own views". I think Alice Roberts has been unequivocal about it though, whilst not calling it lies as such she still pretty much said it's wrong. What this needs is lots of eminent scientists and people like Jonny who have actually been through it, to form a cohesive task force and then force discussion on the issue. Jason said the Tories have forgetten/ignored the concept of child rights, but as far as education is concerned, so have Labour/Lib dems. Labour of course only exacerbated the whole faith schools expansion, and now as well as the private sector, we have these free schools being allowed to be run e.g. by Steiner and Maharishi. What are the chances these organisations will teach science in a legitimate way?. ( I have just added an event on March 10th, run by Ealing SKIP on this subject)