Atheist Feminists Message Board The London Feminism Meetup Group Discussion Forum › Invitation to London Atheist Meetup Group

Invitation to London Atheist Meetup Group

Sue M
sue.mayer
Group Organizer
London, GB
Feminist freethinkers are welcome to the London Atheists Meetup Group (Google) meeting next Friday, 14th December. The details are on the website. (7.30 Conway Hall, Red Lion Square) I could do with some female company and discussion on the discussion forum.

Sue
A former member
Post #: 1
I'm hoping to attend this, sounds interesting. I think the issue of tolerance is especially significant right now, with the Synod's rejection of women bishops. Did anyone see The Big Questions a couple of weeks ago? They were talking about this issue. Peter Hitchens (gaaah!), aside from not really having an opinion on the matter of whether women should be bishops (why are you here then!!??), accused the side in support of women bishops of being INTOLERANT : 0. Not only could that accusation be more appropriately applied to the side AGAINST women bishops, but he just ended up polarising the debate. Not helpful.

I think this whole debate demonstrates how intolerant the Church is. What other organisation could openly discriminate against someone because of their sex? And that's exactly what it is, because women clearly have the capacity to be bishops - women priests. Refusing to employ someone because of a physical attribute which does not affect their ability to do the job is against the law! Why is the Church exempt??