Atheist Feminists Message Board The London Feminism Meetup Group Discussion Forum › Islamist sect that hates secular London wants mosque, London families need h

Islamist sect that hates secular London wants mosque, London families need houses.

Sue M
sue.mayer
Group Organizer
London, GB
An Islamist organisation whose purpose is to recruit Muslims to their 'pure' form of Islam and have as little contact as possible with the 'secular' community of London, is trying to use a massive site in East London to built a massive new facility for them to use exclusively - for a mosque that can accomodate nine thousand worshipers.

This, while there are thousands of Londoners of all beliefs and non, who do not have adequate housing, even as reported today, local councils accomodating families in bed and breakfast accomodation. While unemployed and low paid workers, families with children, have to be able to pay hundreds of pounds a month to rent even the most modest housing. Are we mad?

Why does an  Islamist sect choose to settle and live in a country that is so abhorrent to them, and what do they intend to do to ensure that the country changes to make them more at home?
katlyn D.
user 11181753
London, GB
Post #: 32
That is a bloody shame I grew up in East London and its a shame the way these Islamic twits are taking over not only London but the whole country I don't know why our government is so cowardly to put a stop to it
A former member
Post #: 139
We should also then limit all these Christian Congregations springing up, that take over old pubs and places. They seem to brainwash folk with their loud music, with absolutist wording and long sermons.
Sue M
sue.mayer
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 3,353
It would be a step in the right direction if the religious privileges, including their automatic tax exemption and charity status, that advantages them finAancially over secular organisations and facilities was stopped.

There have been campaigns over the years by the secular humanist organisations but they get no publicity and little support from anyone in a position to promote the exposure of institutionalised state bias towards all the religions.

katlyn D.
user 11181753
London, GB
Post #: 33
We should also then limit all these Christian Congregations springing up, that take over old pubs and places. They seem to brainwash folk with their loud music, with absolutist wording and long sermons.
whats worst a few old pubs with some happy clappy people singing or nine thousand flamin islamic gits trying to take over the country
A former member
Post #: 140
whats worst a few old pubs with some happy clappy people singing or nine thousand flamin islamic gits trying to take over the country

well, as far as I've experienced it is your former that wants to push their believes on others. It is those who seem to go on the street pushing there believes. I can't remember any one of the latter trying to push their leaflets into my hand. The latter only have quiet stalls, if anything, on the streets, not shout out their believes as if they are in their Place of Worship, like the former. I tell the former that that isn't my religion (any more) I am a Spiritualist. I feel I can criticise the former more, as I was brought up as a Christian, then saw the cracks in Christianity. I want to be more diplomatic with other peoples.
A former member
Post #: 2

What do you mean by 'take over the country'? This kind of language unsettles me as much as any extremist religious language. Although I agree with the original point made by Sue - that it's not useful to build something which aims to divide/isolate a community, especially when there is greater need elsewhere - I think we have to be careful not to view Islam or Muslims as one, homogeneous group, especially because people tend to be thinking of extremists. Not all Christians, atheists or Muslims share the same views. It's not useful to generalise people!
Sue M
sue.mayer
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 3,355
Both religions are equally dangerous, they both get the financial privileges of religion being automatically 'charitable' They both use in different places and at different times mass demonstrations, Iranian streets or St Peter's Square. They both dominate and demand obedience of the whole population to their dogmas. No live and let live for them. They prevent permissive legislation and social policy that seeks to get rid of harassment, prejudice and discrimination.

IMO it is absolutely crucial that atheists do not muddy the waters, we have to be clear and impartial. Islam may be of a different time, but it is no better or worse than the history of Christianity and the atrocities perpetrated in its name over centuries. If we are not clear, atheism will be used by fascists and racists to justify racism and xenophobia.
cafenoire
user 4561156
London, GB
Post #: 17
kathryn you sound ignorant, your description of christians as being happy and clappy, these are the same christians which see being gay as being evil, as quoted by the catholic church, clearly you have branded all muslims the same. grow up. have you actually been outside of london, it's practically 95% white and christian, what's your problem?
Sue M
sue.mayer
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 3,357
For goodness sake what is the matter with you. This infantile discussion on apparent ignorance of the history, doctrine and political and social effects of the teachings of the patriarchal religions, that have demeaned and justified abuse of women is pathetic. Nor do you even recognise how these attitudes affect the lives of women all over the world today, robbing them of their rights to equality, freedom and autonomy. Thousand of women and girls suffer and die as the result of male expectations, laws and violent behaviour, FGM, the killing of girl babies and sexual abuse.

Of course everyone knows that not every religious person is a cruel extremist or follows the dogma, but the fanatics and extremists on both sides, 'stand on the shoulders' of their respective mainstream believers and they cause conflict, suffering and death wherever they are strong and in competition with each other.

If all you can do is bicker about which one is worse I suggest you sign out and look at the facts before exposing your ignorance in public. It is not a good example of feminism or freethought.