add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Atheist Feminists Message Board The London Feminism Meetup Group Discussion Forum › Early radical feminist freethinkers - activists of the 18th & 19th Centu

Early radical feminist freethinkers - activists of the 18th & 19th Century. HARRIET MARTINEAU

Sue M
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 3,566
Harriet Martineau
1802 - 1876

This is taken from Annie Laurie Gaylor's 'Women Without Superstition "No gods, No Masters"'published by the Freedon From Religion Foundation The quotations here are from Harriet Matrtineau's Autobiography written in 1855 and published posthumously in 1877:

“The sixth of eight children of a silk manufacturer in Norwich, England, Harriet is called "the first sociologist," mapping out sociological methodology before the word was coined, according to twentieth-century sociologist Alice S. Rossi. Harriet was a significant role model in the woman's movement: a respected female author winning acclaim for her own thought, who supported herself by her nonfiction, writing fifty books and more than sixteen hundred articles, signed by her own name. She boasted of being "probably the happiest single woman in England.

Since she had been raised in a Unitarian family, Unitarians claimed her as one of theirs, provoking her to write at the end of her life: ". . . I hope and believe my old co-religionists understand and admit that I disclaim their theology in toto, and that by no twisting of language or darkening of its meanings can I be made out to have any thing whatever in common with them about religious matters.... they must take my word for it that there is nothing in common between their theology and my philosophy.

"My business in life has been to think and learn, and to speak out with absolute freedom what I have thought and learned. The freedom is itself a positive and never-failing enjoyment to me, after the bondage of my early life."

see Women Without Superstition "No Gods No Masters"
A former member
Post #: 143
This goes back to a time when Unitarians had a more biblical based theology. A lot has changed in Unitarianism, where a Unitarian is now more open to believe as they believe and get their theology from any source.
Sue M
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 3,576
It was a time when atheists and agnostics, men and women had to use euphemisms to hid behind, fearing in many cases to express their true opinions for fear of ridicule and worse. But more extraordinary were the number of now forgotten anti-theist and anti-clerical atheist women campaigners who were staunchly critical of the religions and priests and missionaries. The were in no doubt as to the effect patriarchy had on women. They were women that I and other staunch, anti-theist, atheist and secular humanist feminists would be proud to support today. They were active long before the 'votes for women' activists of the 20th century.