addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

London Drupal Pub Meet Message Board › Are you able to list the key Drupal skills and knowledge that make you a dec

Are you able to list the key Drupal skills and knowledge that make you a decent Drupal dev?

A former member
Post #: 1
I'm trying to write out a list of key Drupal competencies, partly so I can confirm what I know, don't know and don't know I don't know (Thanks D. Rumsfeld). So I thought it'd be interesting to see if anyone here had some contributions to this list?

• Able to install Drupal on a server (pretty obvious).
  • Able to research and install modules to meet project requirements
  • Able to configure all the basic modules and core settings to get a site running
  • Able to create a custom Theme from scratch which validates with good HTML/CSS and also pays attention to usability and accessibility. (Whilst still looking kick-ass).
  • Able to use Hooks in the theme template.php to alter forms, page layout and other core functionality
  • Can make forms from scratch using the API - with validation and posting back to the DB/email
  • Can use Views to create blocks or pages, use php snippets as arguments, etc.
  • Can create custom modules from scratch utilising core hooks and other hooks.

I think some of those are really broad, there's quite a difference between making a theme, and building a site with good SEO, load times and so on, but I'm hoping you could assume that a half decent web developer would look after that anyway.

Just interested to see some other opinions!