London European Club Message Board › No Shows

No Shows

This message board is read-only.

A former member
Post #: 52
I have noted some concern about no shows in the group. There is a poll on this. I think any action should be proportional to the impact of the no show. In many cases there will be none, but in others the event itself will be compromised. In the latter case I have removed members from my own groups, but in others I have let it go.
Maja
user 6934588
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 27
I am not sure what you mean by "concern". In my view a "no show" is disrespectful toward the organisers and towards the others attending the event. So a "no show" is a "no show" is a "no show".
You wouldn't just not show up if you were going out with friends, so I see no reason to tolerate it in the European Club.

Organisers spend a lot of time preparing the events and sometimes people not showing up has an impact although it may not be an obvious one. The " no show" rule is non negotiable I am afraid.
A former member
Post #: 53
It was the red lettering and the poll I noticed, Maya. You are of course right about behaviour. In fact I now see that it is three strikes and out, which seems very generous.
StephanC
user 3232390
London, GB
Post #: 26
Maja, what about those who change their RSVP at the very last minute. The result is the same. Say, if you are on the waiting list and are moved up to the list of attendees because of the change, you won't know it unless you have instant access to internet/email.
Maja
user 6934588
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 33
Changing the RSVP in the last minute counts as a "no show" as stated in the terms and conditions under each event.
I do accept that people may have a reason to drop out from an event in the last minute. And I have no problem when people apologize and don't do it very frequently. But in some cases it is always the same people who drop out in the last minute.

We are all very busy, so I or the other organisers have no intention to organise events to which people don't come. Once an organiser has commited to host an event they need to be at the the event even if there is only one other person coming to it. Members are free to change their RSVP up until almost the last minute, so they should try to RSVP correclty at least out of courtesy towards the organiser of the event. Thus the "no show" rule is here to stay.
Jim
user 3703361
London, GB
Post #: 15
I plan to start my own group in the spring so finding out about problems others have can be helpful.
Regarding a no show I only see a problem if the host has had to lay on food etc. If the Meetup was at a public event a no show would be less of a problem. If the policy was too strict then members would not RSVP yes but just turn up at the event. They do not then get a no show if they can't make it at the last moment.
Maja
user 6934588
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 39
Good luck with your meetup group Jim. I'm sure that you'll soon find out how important accurate RSVPing is.
Regards,Maja
A former member
Post #: 7
Hi Maja and everyone,

I've just joined the group and was reading through this discussion with great interest. I host a writers group meet up and find the 'no shows' a real problem as I have to book tables based on number of attendees.

Many times members enthusiastically used to book up all the available spaces and not cancel (or cancel in the last minute) so that genuinely interested people couldn't book or have enough notice to attend if they were on a waiting list.

This resulted once in my sitting with two other people at tables reserved for 15 in a small coffee shop. You can imagine how popular we were with the other patrons and coffee shop staff during a busy period!!

I really like the '3 no-shows and you are out' rule in this group as people become very careful and only book on events they can come to.

I think there might be some flexibility with the last minute cancellation/late show people as we have poor public transport here in London, people fall ill, babysitters cancel last minute and mess up parents timetables and managers at work do like people to stay late on unexpected projects. I totally understand why the 24 hour cancellation policy is there. I've adjusted my own event RSVPs so members can't cancel in the last 24 hours for the same reason. But sometimes there really is a genuine reason for a last minute cancellation. As Maja said though, it shouldn't be repeated too often or it starts to look like a pattern and lifestyle choice!

Tania
Gareth
user 3399920
London, GB
Post #: 2
I would urge sensitivity and discretion on this one. It's useful to have the rule for excluding the genuinely unreliable, but over time it might be possible to strike 3 over a period of time without real culpability, and it would be a shame to automatically exclude a valued member over a technicality. People can be let down by transport, babysitters, health, weather, internet access and a myriad of other, 'genuine', reasons.
Ultimately, it's the organisers choice, of course, but different cultures have contrasting approaches to punctuality, commitment and rule-enforcement, and as an all-European organisation I feel it would be appropriate to exercise some flexibility in these matters.
Maja
user 6934588
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 47
I can see that the "no show" debate is getting lively again. As there are new members in the Club there are new people who can/can't understand why we have this policy.

After running the Club for more than two years I, as an Organiser and as the one who introduced the policy to this Club can assure you that the "no show" policy is here to stay. I and the other organisers who commit their free time, knowledge and energy find it a useful tool to remove people who don't think it is important to RSVP accurately.

Yes there are different attitudes towards punctuality and not showing up, but there are also different meetup groups so there is everything for everyone. As an organiser of a very active meetup group I will not be dictated by someone's attitude not to show up at events regardless of how unfair they may think our policy is. I am not stopping them from being a member of any other meetup group which may tolerate their behaviour, I am only restricting them access to a Club which has well researched, well written and well hosted events in which a lot of people are interested.

Of course if we have a valued member who comes to events frequently and whose transport links didn't work three times, we'd show tolerance, but people who come to our events on a regular basis have least number of "no shows" because they can see how much effort we put into organising them and they have respect for that.

I will simply not allow the "I don't care" attitude to prevail in the Club, because there are enough members who care about this Club and I and the other organsiers care about it as well.

Enjoy meeting up-it's much more fun then not showing up.

Maja