London European Club Message Board › London European Club October newsletter

London European Club October newsletter

This message board is read-only.

Maja
user 6934588
Group Organizer
London, GB
Dear Europeans,

I know, the October newsletter is late, so instead of individually responding to all of you who sent me messages asking for it (or not) I have decided to sit down, write it and send it off.

In September we went past the 1000 member mark despite the fact that I keep on deleting inactive profiles of members who don't check the web site and it looks like we are going to have up to 20 events per month organised by many dedicated organisers. There are hundreds of you going to different events and judging by the feedback mainly enjoying them. All of this poses new challenges for the London European Club. Or if you prefer to call them opportunities, please do so, the fact is, I do get a lot of messages, enquiries and suggestions that I simply can't respond to. So do the other organisers and some members of this Club seem to forget that this is a FREE, VOLUNTARY Club organised by people who work full time.

We do live in a consumer oriented society so many of you see themselves as customers rather than members. One of the reasons why I have decided to set this group as a free Club is not to have to deal with complaints from customers. I work in sales and marketing so I do that during working hours. The London European Club is my hobby and I am sure all the other organisers see it as a hobby, yet some of you seem to think that we have a customer service department as well as a 24/7 switchboard. We don't!!!

I have heard that psychiatrists recommend Meetup to people who are depressed in order to encourage them to "get out more". I am going to have a word with the national body of British psychiatrists about this but in the meantime I'd appreciate if those of you who are depressed, stressed out, suicidal or generally unhappy for whatever reason do not dump their frustration on other members of the Club including me. Especially not me!

My advice to all of you who are members of this Club is to take responsibility, for your safety, for your enjoyment and for what you get from the Club. Don't expect things to be done for you, they won't be. Enjoy the events and try to make a contribution by posting photos or writing a comment, volunteer to organise events if you want to. If I think that your suggestion is adequate I will make you an event organiser so you will be able to organise an event and invite other people to come along.

Do not demand stuff from me, I neither can nor want to satisfy demand, you see - I am not a supplier. Do not complain about not being able to get on the list of an event. If it is full-it's full, try to find something else of interest. There is always a reason why some of the events have a limited number of spaces, usually the limit is either requested by the venue or the organiser simply doesn't want to have an event larger than a certain number of people. We will not have parties for 600 people, I do not enjoy them, neither do many of you, so if you want to go to a party which has hundreds of people please do that somewhere else. We will not have walks for 70 people, I and the other organisers think that it is safer and better to have walks which are restricted in numbers.

None of the above means that I have no plans to grow the Club, on the contrary, I do. But it is not all about numbers, I think quality should precede quantity. So I have decided to be more selective when it comes to the type of events that we announce and attend. If you like outdoor activities, walking, hiking and cycling, European related cultural events, concerts, films and theatre performances as well as travelling to unusual destinations in Europe this is still the right Club for you. And it is still the right place to be if you like political debates.

The start of the Autumn is usually a time when a lot of institutions and organisations as well as performers and artists announce new events as more people spend time indoors. I have got my eye on a few in October and I am already planning events for November and December. The events we go to are very popular and do sell out, so get your tickets as soon as I announce them if you really want to come. If an event is free and you need to register please do that, otherwise you won't be able to get in even though you are on the RSVP list.

Those of you who enjoy my newsletter will see the funny side of it, some of you may take this newsletter personally and leave the Club. Others will not read it.

I wish all of you a great October and look forward to seeing you.

Maja (pronounced Maya)

Sharon
user 9122438
London, GB
Post #: 12
Thank you Maja for keeping us informed. I think you and the rest of the team do a great job :)
A former member
Post #: 2
I see the funny side Maja even if I'm sure some won't! :D
Maja
user 6934588
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 31
Thanks Sharon, I know we do a great job because I know how much work is involved in running the Club. And I have been to many meetup groups and still haven't found one which does so many diverse events, so frequently and with such enthusiasm. But some people seem not to be able to see that and that inspired me to write the newsletter.

Ben, I know some people will be able to see the funny side of the newsletter, I had a good laugh writing it. Unfortunately I think that the people for whom it will be most useful to read it, will either not read it or not get the point. Which is why I am planning to introduce a new ban on the spot for moaning.
Maja
user 6934588
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 32
For those of you who are following the "October newsletter debate" or contributing to it, this is the right place to continue it. Today after not checking my email for HALF A DAY only I started receiving texts and emails in support of a debate that I wasn't following. Members were asking me not to quit...to keep on doing a great job...to ignore the messages on the mailing list... Choosing the option not to receive emails from the mailing list it took me a while to realize what they were talking about, but finally I did thanks to Pash who advised me what was going on.
Having come out of a meeting I went to check the mailing list and was astonished about the debate on menthal health that my October newsletter prompted. Excellent! I just wish this was a menthal health support group as a lot of the advice given there was brilliant. Unfortunately I had to switch off the mailing list because there is nobody to administer it so a lot of people were getting emails THAT ARE NOT RELEVANT FOR THE LONDON EUROPEAN CLUB.

One of the most amusing remarks was the one advising me that I HAD TO DEAL with people who are depressed because excluding them would be like excluding people with disabilities from the group. Now that made me laugh for about 90 seconds straight. Some people clearly misunderstood my newsletter. I had no intention to exclude anyone. I have not excluded anyone with any disability from any event and would happily chat to all members who come to an event about the topic of the event, which given that this is the London European Club would be related to European cutlure or politics, cinema, art.... I would never dream of asking them about their disability. I think that would be quite rude in fact.

This inadequate analogy just proves my point. Which was: I'd appreciate if those of you who are depressed, stressed out, suicidal or generally unhappy for whatever reason do not dump their frustration on other members of the Club including me. Especially not me!
If you find yourselves experiencing these emotions please seek professional help. I, the other organisers or members are not equipped to help and advise on these matters and would not be doing you a favour if we pretend that we are.

I'm well aware of the "one in four" statistics when it comes to menthal helath. Of all the expertise mentioned regarding menthal health issues during the debate in the Club nobody mentioned one of the first rules of keeping one's own menthal wellbeing and that is to be able to say NO to people who dump their problems and emotional baggage on others. So in order to keep my own sanity I wrote the newsletter. And I AM VERY GLAD I did.

Members started complaining about receiving so many irrelevant emails only after half a day. Well I can tell you my inbox is full of irrelevant emails on a daily basis, so this debate made me realize that I respond too much to things that I shouldn't respond to. So in future you will not be getting many personal responses to your emails. I am sure most of you will understand why. It is simply impossible for me to respond to every suggestion and idea or criticism. But you will continue getting the monthly newsletter which will also be published here so you can debate about it if you wish so, without sending emails to every individual member.

To the person who "advised" me that an organsier should only do events that they enjoy, well I do. The topics of this group are interests that I share with organisers. We all organise what we enjoy hoping to attract other people who enjoy same kind of events. But a minority of members forget that this is a FREE, VOLUNTARY group and seem to think they can demand things. Oooops I am repeating stuff that I already wrote about in my newsletter....

By the way, I have absolutely no intention to quit, but would appreciate some more help in running the Club. But I will write more about that in the next newsletter.

Take care and keep your mental health.
Maja

Audrey
user 14459427
London, GB
Post #: 1
Dear Maja,
I've just discovered the long chain of emails following your October newsletter and I just wanted to express my support: I totally understood what you meant in your note and I don't understand that people cannot get that! I totally admire all the work and effort you guys put into organising all these events and more importantly, I like the philosophy of this meetup: it is not simply about events, and that's what I particularly like about it. So I just would like to say a big THANK YOU.
Audrey
Audrey
user 14459427
London, GB
Post #: 2
Also, I'm a big fan of Maja's second degree humour! :-)
Anna F.
user 5335925
London, GB
Post #: 70
Dear All,
Firstly, I would like to add my support to the issue raised about mental health. I myself, have mental health issues but would never think to dump them on other members of the group. Secondly, my enjoyment of events has been hampered by people who constantly complain or moan about their problems. Organisers aren't referees .They are not required to deal with other people's negative emotions. If you don't get on with someone then, go and find someone else to talk to. If you are upset by something that a person said or did then tell them directly and don't go behind their backs and tell someone else. Deal with the complaint directly with the person concerned. Have the integrity to deal with things yourself. If the person concerned gets upset, then so what?

Anna