This message board is read-only.

Maja
user 6934588
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 41
Dear Europeans,

Happy New 2012!!!

My good wishes may be slightly belated but never the less they are genuine, although I know that this year will bring good as well as bad things just like any other. Never the less I hope you get a fair share of good things, both those that you have been expecting and also some lovely surprises.

If you are a new member please keep on reading this section. Those of you who have been members for a while know the rules so you can skip them and read further about the plans of the Club in 2012.

As everyone is sprucing up their life in January and is determined to loose weight/find the perfect job/partner/travel more... we've had quite a lot of new members joining,hoping to find some or all of those things in the European Club. I'd like to welcome all of you who've joined in December and in the few first days of 2012. I hope that you'll find what you are looking for in the Club, but I'd like to remind you that we are not a dating web site. Existing members know the rules of this Club, but for those of you who are new, here are the three main rules:

1) Do not RSVP unless you plan to attend an event, our events are VERY popular and we restrict the numbers because we don't like mass gatherings, so not showing up means you are taking the space of a person who genuinely wants to come. I don't care if this is how other groups work. You will be banned if you don't show up at our events.

2) Be proactive, don't expect things to be done for you. This is a free and voluntary Club so the more responsibility you take the more you will enjoy it. The organisers are not an information desk, a sales assistant, a parent or a punch bag. We are very busy people who just enjoy organising stuff, so if you are coming along don't expect us to know everything or take care of you. Apparently you are all well travelled, intelligent, professional, clever, etc so please behave in such a manner.

3)Do not hassle other members by sending them unsolicited emails, sales pitches, marriage proposals, undying love statements or other kind of spam.

I hope these rules are clear. I understand that some of you may disagree with them or not like them. If that is the case, please move on and leave the Club as soon as possible because we are not planning to change the rules so you will not enjoy the Club.

Having clarified the rules of the European Club, I'd like to tell you what the other organisers and I are planning for 2012. We worked very hard to establish the Club in 2011 so we now have a very active membership which means there is quite a demand for the events that we are organising. We are introducing new types of events like the European film viewings in restaurants, which will be an ideal opportunity not just to see an award winning European movie but also to discuss it over some food and drinks.

We are continuing to have (at least) two, over 10km walks in the English countryside per month, an ideal opportunity to keep active while discussing European affairs or any other matters.

We will also have more meetups related to European politics and debate because Europe has become more topical then ever. I could not anticipate this when I started the Club, but I'm glad that many of you are interested in the politics of Europe and I'm grateful for the diversity of opinions that you have expressed.

We will be organising more trips around Europe, especially to destinations that can't be seen on posters on the London Underground. So if you want to show us around your home town, let us know and we'll come. Especially if there is a mountain or a lake near it, so we can do a bit of hiking and swimming while exploring the local cuisine and sites.

There will also be more European exhibitions and coffee meetups for coffee lovers, stand up comedy, European themed parties.... But in all honesty, although we have about 20 events each month we could have more and there are still many European nations and cultures which have not been represented with a single event in the Club. So if you have been thinking of organising something for a while, stop thinking and just do it. I and the other organisers will give you a lot of support and there will be enough members who will come to see which aspect of your culture you want to show us.

Do not ask what the London European Club can do for you in 2012, ask what you can do for the Club and your fellow Europeans.

Best regards and warm wishes for 2012,

Maja (pronounced Maya)