London European Club Message Board › London European Club March Newsletter

London European Club March Newsletter

This message board is read-only.

Maja
user 6934588
Group Organizer
London, GB
Dear Europeans,

the March newsletter is coming out a bit late, but walks needed to be organised (and walked), exhibitions booked, films announced, new venues for our events checked out and there are only 24 hours in a day. As always, in my newsletter I'd like to welcome newcomers. The European Club prides itself in not being a clique and we are always curious to see who finds us interesting enough to join us. So thank you for choosing the European Club and I hope you are enjoying our events. Some of you may have just stumbled upon us, others may have heard of us from friends in other groups. Regardless of how you happened to become a member I hope you will take a few minutes to read about the rules of the Club. I don't want to repeat them in my every newsletter so here is a link for those who think that this is "just another meetup group" http://www.meetup.com/London-European-Club/messages/boards/thread/19172122­

I and the other organisers are determined to keep the European Club different from other meetup groups, so if I ask you to RSVP accurately please do that, otherwise I will have to remove you, because at the moment there is a waiting list of people who want to become members to the Club and we just don't have patience for time wasters. You may think that this is right or wrong, you are entitled to your oppinion, but the rules are here to stay.

We had seventeen events in February and there are already eleven in the March calendar and I know there will be more. Because of our RSVP policy our events are well attended and they are very popular. Currently we are limiting numbers at events because all organisers in the European Club and most members agree that mass gatherings are not enjoyable. Which means that if you drop out in the last minute you are taking the space of someone who wants to come to an event. And that will not go unnoticed....

Now that we have gone over the rules, I'd like to flag a few events in March. Finally spring is here, we have more daylight so our walks are getting longer. Buy good hiking shoes and waterproofs and join us-you will have a great time. Currently we do two walks per month, but we can do more if there are people who want to guide walks. We are also preparing two hiking trips in Europe, both in June, one to Turkey (to see details go to http://www.meetup.com/London-European-Club/events/51136592/­) and one to Serbia, Bosnia and Croatia (to see details go to http://www.meetup.com/London-European-Club/events/43702972/­). There are still spots available for both trips so talk to Eser or to me if you want to join us and travel in a unique way. You will have an opportunity to visit a country and be guided by someone who comes from that country and in my experience that is the best way to travel. Both trips combine hiking and cultural site seeing so they are an ideal way to learn more about Europe.

In March we have three European movies, a Russian one and two Italian ones. All three seem to be real gems and are recommended by our film expert Elena. After the films we have a drink and a discussion,and the viewing of Respiro is specially organised by Marion only for members of the Club and you can have food and drinks as well as a good chat about the movie which is suggested by one of our members who is going to tell us why it's worth seeing the film as well as the location where it was made.

So Europeans as you can see there is quite a lot going on in the Club. There are two exhibitions and a few events are still in the making. Stay alert, check the calendar on a regular basis, you know I like to keep you all on your toes. And expect a political debate to be announced soon-the main reason why this Club was started was to give a platform to people to have a good chat about Europe today.

Yours,

Maja (pronounced Maya)