London Futurists Message Board London Futurists General Discussion Forum › Lets sort it out once and for all - What da fak is dis singularity??

Lets sort it out once and for all - What da fak is dis singularity??

Dirk B.
user 9941666
London, GB
Post #: 257
First, while the term "technologist" might have been around for a couple of decades "engineer" has a pedigree going back to at least the steam engine.
Second, there are more scientists and engineers not purely because of larger population size but because of increasing education and prosperity in Asia. IIRC China graduates some 4m scientists and engineers per year.
Finally, you merely seem to be confirming what people have claimed. I'm not sure why you bothered.
Jonathan
Im-not-a-number
London, GB
Post #: 223
Are you saying that Technologist and Engineer are synonymous?

I ask because I often seem to meet Artists who claim that there is a clear distinction between Art and Science; and that being of an artistic bent is to be superior to the Scientist - simply by virtue of the fact that their chosen profession has a pure creative element attached to it.

Clearly this is a ludicrous notion to adopt, since both fields have advantages and drawbacks, and both have their uses in society. So, it's at this point that I'll introduce them to the concept of an Engineer, and his half-breed profession that isn't quite Science, yet has all the creative element of an Art attached to it...

However, if I look at the dictionary, it tells me that Technologist is a word of US derivation, equivalent to what we here in the UK would call a Technician - And thus, someone of lower standing than that of a Scientist or an Artist.

On a different note, I've said elsewhere that technological progress might have as much chance of moving backwards as well as forwards, as originally noted by the Chinese Philosophers. To better illustrate this point, technology in Britain reached a peak around the 3rd Century, just before the collapse of the Roman Empire. Then, in the years following the withdrawal of the Roman Garrisons, the Angles and Saxons, etc. allowed the remaining Roman technology to fall into decay - So, it's now said by Historians, that the level of technological advancement in Britain did not reach an equivalent echelon until around the 16th century.

Luke P.
user 12604681
Salem, OR
Post #: 26
On a different note, I've said elsewhere that technological progress might have as much chance of moving backwards as well as forwards, as originally noted by the Chinese Philosophers. To better illustrate this point, technology in Britain reached a peak around the 3rd Century, just before the collapse of the Roman Empire. Then, in the years following the withdrawal of the Roman Garrisons, the Angles and Saxons, etc. allowed the remaining Roman technology to fall into decay - So, it's now said by Historians, that the level of technological advancement in Britain did not reach an equivalent echelon until around the 16th century.

Technological regression is possible, but I'd say not near as probable under current conditions. For one thing, we have really good records of how to do all this technologically advanced stuff. For another, there are thriving economies based on it. People depend on it for their everyday lives. And our culture values and rewards education, so there are people skilled in the necessary elements to maintain and reconstruct technology. The only way for us to regress is if magical thinking and superstition become the norm again.
Jonathan
Im-not-a-number
London, GB
Post #: 226
Are you saying that the Angles, Saxons or Jutes couldn't have copied the hypocausts, aqueducts, plumbing, cranes, domed structures, arches, mechanized harvesting machines and watermills etc. that the Romans left behind?

That's not to say that the tribes following the Romans didn't have technology, they did manage to travel over from Germany, and completely changed our language... Further, education has always been highly valued, and it's partly due to the efforts of The Venerable Bede that we know so much about the tribes that followed the Romans.

It seems to me that the paradigm shifted, and the peoples following the Romans just weren't as interested in technological progression, and preferred instead to concentrate on more artistic endeavours.