addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

London Futurists Message Board London Futurists General Discussion Forum › Cryonics "Fact" Sheet

Cryonics "Fact" Sheet

Luke P.
user 12604681
Salem, OR
Post #: 21
He is also doing rather well for himself out of all this

Richie, do you have any evidence supporting the assertion that David Styles is making money from cryonics? Or is this just yet more trolling?
A former member
Post #: 527
Im retiring from this forum for a bit

Skywalker you wanna play some more - lets do it by e-mail: thepleasuremodel(at)gmail.com - I can send you some of the crazy shit people have sent me and you can decide for yourself.

This board has had enough of our public bickering and to be honest its getting embarrassing....
Luke P.
user 12604681
Salem, OR
Post #: 22
This board has had enough of our public bickering and to be honest its getting embarrassing....

I'm a little angry right now that you keep avoiding my questions and changing the subject.
Feel free to answer via email though if it makes you more comfortable.
Jonathan
Im-not-a-number
London, GB
Post #: 222
anyhow good to see you back being prickly and setting me straight - i really need it!

Hi Richie,
I've learned three important things from this forum:
1) It's best taken in small doses
2) Any attempt at rational scientific discussion will be turned into a contest of who can post the most research papers
3) Long messages only get skim read by posters that reply to what they think they read, rather than what was actually written.

With all this in mind, I think it's best that I stick to responding in the medium of art, and thus I propose a theme song for this group:

Finally, it seems that Human Organ Preservation Research Trust actually is a real charity.

Luke P.
user 12604681
Salem, OR
Post #: 23
I've learned three important things from this forum:
1) It's best taken in small doses
2) Any attempt at rational scientific discussion will be turned into a contest of who can post the most research papers
3) Long messages only get skim read by posters that reply to what they think they read, rather than what was actually written.

This is so true of many forums. Especially that third one! I developed a policy of moving to shorter replies than I might otherwise when the tone seems confrontational. If I write a longer article, chances are they'll ignore 90% of it. Also if they write a long article and I'm feeling confrontational I will often find that I skim rather than read for comprehension (I try not to, but I think it still happens).

When I was a therapy tech they taught us that the body has a crisis cycle, and when you are escalated your focus narrows and you become much less open-minded or reasonable. Here's a link with a diagram: http://healthcare.uta...­
pleasuremodel
user 11185745
London, GB
Post #: 9
WTF is a therapy technician?

Are you serious - what are you - we no longer care who are you..
Luke P.
user 12604681
Salem, OR
Post #: 25
WTF is a therapy technician?

Are you serious - what are you - we no longer care who are you..

Heh, I could explain but you don't really seem like you care.
Oh wait, that's what you just said. Never mind.
Jonathan
Im-not-a-number
London, GB
Post #: 224
This is so true of many forums. Especially that third one!

Perhaps my expectations of the participants in a forum discussing technology are too high. But, regardless, I've found similar behaviour in real life, for example, when I was younger and more outspoken, I believed that drugs should be legalised. However, the few people I told this to heard "All - drugs should be legalised - and made compulsory for eight year olds". More recently, I've told staff "we're going to do something similar to X", and later they'd fuck things up and say "...but you said it was the same as X".

I put this down to low intelligence, Postmodernism and so many people's inability to comprehend sentences of more than 140 characters length, and therefore I take every effort to tell people things very precisely - to the point where they think I'm patronizing them. Better that, than getting myself arrested or having to work with incompetents.

There was a similar conversation at the Ben Best talk, where I overheard one audience member telling his partner that fMRI scanning could one day be used to map the brains of Cryonics patients, in order to recreate them as simulations. As someone that takes an interest in Cryonics, I'll let you count how many errors that person managed to fit into such a short sentence.

Anyway, I'm interested to find out what a therapy technician is. I Googled the term, and it brought up lots of sites to do with fingernails and manicure.
Luke P.
user 12604681
Salem, OR
Post #: 28
This is so true of many forums. Especially that third one!

Perhaps my expectations of the participants in a forum discussing technology are too high. But, regardless, I've found similar behaviour in real life, for example, when I was younger and more outspoken, I believed that drugs should be legalised. However, the few people I told this to heard "All - drugs should be legalised - and made compulsory for eight year olds". More recently, I've told staff "we're going to do something similar to X", and later they'd fuck things up and say "...but you said it was the same as X".

I put this down to low intelligence, Postmodernism and so many people's inability to comprehend sentences of more than 140 characters length, and therefore I take every effort to tell people things very precisely - to the point where they think I'm patronizing them. Better that, than getting myself arrested or having to work with incompetents.

There was a similar conversation at the Ben Best talk, where I overheard one audience member telling his partner that fMRI scanning could one day be used to map the brains of Cryonics patients, in order to recreate them as simulations. As someone that takes an interest in Cryonics, I'll let you count how many errors that person managed to fit into such a short sentence.

Anyway, I'm interested to find out what a therapy technician is. I Googled the term, and it brought up lots of sites to do with fingernails and manicure.

The job I did by that title ("Developmental Therpy Technician") was working with individuals with developmental disabilities to assist them in developing life skills. It was heavy on paperwork, but my strongly empathic tendencies went to good use. It can be difficult for individuals with developmental disabilities to find people who will treat them with respect.

People who feel respected and in control (and hence remain at the baseline point of the crisis cycle) are much more teachable, so this was an important part of the job. They had us do trainings every couple months on the Mandt system, which included the Crisis Cycle, similar to how it is described in the linked PDF.

The thing to be aware of is that things can in a sort of pavlovian way become escalation triggers. So mention of legalizing drugs, for some people, is a concept that brings them to a state of heightened anxiety and inability to compute what would otherwise read as clear english. In some cases this seems to happen when cryonics is the topic as well -- or anything controversial for that matter, I suppose. But over time with repeated exposure under otherwise safe circumstances, they can become acclimated or desensitized (which was in many cases the goal with the individuals I worked with).

I think the MRI conversation you overheard was probably a confusion of two different related technologies with similar sounding names. There's apparently a form of MRI that can be used to sense the positions of individual atoms. That wouldn't be anything like the same thing as fMRI as it is used in neuroimaging today. There was a press release on it back in 2007 from IBM: http://www-03.ibm.com...­
Dirk B.
user 9941666
London, GB
Post #: 261
Or...
http://physicsworld.c...­

"Researchers in the US have used an alternative form of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to visualize objects with a resolution of just 90 nm. The best conventional MRI microscopes, in contrast, typically have a resolution of about 3 µm. The researchers claim the technique, known as magnetic resonance force microscopy, could be used to map out the structure of nanometre-scale structures such as proteins and pharmaceutical drugs (Nature Nanotechnology doi:10.1038/nnano.2007.105)"

It would certainly be the technology of choice for a slice and dice upload of a frozen brain