addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

London Haunts and Horrors Message Board › The Walking Dead Convention.

The Walking Dead Convention.

Pete
Hidesinshadows
London, GB
Post #: 27
Hi, girls, guys and ghouls.

I know I haven't been around in like forever, my life got very complicated and not good, but I'm coming through it. Anyhow that isn't what this is about.

Are there any fans here of the TV series The Walking Dead that is shown on the FX channel and I think Channel 5?
If there, are did you know that there is an convention going on in the UK in October for the show?

Before I continue, I think it's only fair that I mention that there is a feeling it's going to get cancelled owing to lack of ticket sales. The people behind it have been shocking at promoting the thing. They seem more interested in their other cons for Supernatural as well as True Blood/The Vampire Diaries/Twilight.

Anyhow back to this convention. It takes place over the 3 days of 26th-28th October 2012 at the Hilton Metropole Hotel in Birmingham. It's right beside the NEC and within walking distance of the rail station. 10-15 minutes cutting through the NEC itself.

At the moment 4 guests have been announced. It's possible there will be more, but I'm not expecting there to be. They are:

JON BERNTHAL who plays Shane, JEFFREY DeMUNN who plays Dale, LAUREN COHAN who plays Maggie and ANDREW ROTHENBERG who starred as Jim

The prices for tickets for the weekend are:

Emerald Ticket/Package | Adult £85 Child £40

A weekend package includes; A Souvenir Booklet, A Convention Badge, 1 free Autograph per guest, Access to all Stage Talks, Themed Parties/Discos and Access to the Vendors Room

The biggest expense is the hotel room. You don't have to stay at that hotel, but logic says you do if you can as everything is all in one place.

Usually they arrange room discount with a code. They haven't announced a code yet (not good) but you can book rooms without it. They cary in price but are roughly £80 per night for a single room (That's the Hilton for you) but you are covered if the con gets cancelled you can ring up, cancel your room and all is good.

You can get the room cheaper for about £58 per night, but that is an online offer price. You pay when booking and it's non refundable. A sod if the evnt gets cancelled. That happened to me with a different convention. As I had paid for the room I went and had a relaxing weekend anyway. May as well I had paid for the thing.

The room rates include breakfast.

One more thing. If this is all sounding fab and groovy, there is one other very important thing you need to look at. If you are going by train, how much is it going to cost? London to Birmingham isn't cheap. The stupid thing is prices go up and down daily, sometimes hourly. When I was looking at getting a ticket to the other convention the price was £19 return. Over the weeks it went up as high as £42 return and kept fluctuating arond that mark. Suddenly one day I logged on and it was £22. I didn't have the money until the next day and I went to purchase it the next day it went up to £30 The same train, leaving the same platform at the same time. Why the price kept going up and down I don't know. I tried various operators and it was the same price. Then for some reason and I don't know why I went into my internet history, found the page in the folder for the previous day for the same page. I clicked on it and for some reason rather than saying £30 it said £22. I went to buy the ticket expecting it to correct itself but it didn't. The whole transaction and the payment taken from my account was £22. I got really lucky. I don't know how or why, but I'll take it.

Perhaps some of the members here who are into this show may fancy going up as a group to this thing, maybe even splitting the cost of a twin room.

If you don't want too or can't stay Sunday night you can check out and the consierge (bad spelling) will lock up your bads in his room so you can stay to the closing ceremony at about 6pm. The only thing you miss after that is another disco/party.

If you take the gamble on the cheap room which isn't refundable, 2 night x £58 (single room) = £116 + £85 for an adult ticket = £201 approx for the weekend excluding travelling expenses and eating. Do it right and it's under £300 for the weekend.

Just thought I would throw the suggestion out there. smile

Details of the event are here> http://www.rogueevent...­