London Historical Fiction Book Group Message Board › London Historical Fiction Book Group - Happy Christmas and group update

London Historical Fiction Book Group - Happy Christmas and group update

Justin
user 7750145
Group Organizer
London, GB
Hi everyone

Firstly, just to welcome all those who have signed up in recent weeks. Hope to see you at one of our meetups soon.

Our next meetup is on Monday 14 January. We will be discussing "Theodora" by Stella Duffy. All are welcome as always. More details here:
http://www.meetup.com/London-Historical-Fiction-Book-Group/events/86963602/­

I think the meetup after that will be 4 March. I'll put something in the calendar as soon as I get a consensus on the following question:

Potential change to our starting time

I'm mulling changing the starting time for our meetups. It's been 7.30pm for a while. This was largely because of my own work set-up, often finishing quite late. However, my situation changes from the new year and I will be more flexible.

I therefore was wondering if participants are generally happy with a 7.30pm start or would prefer an earlier time. It may be that if we make it earlier, people who've never been able to come before would now be able to. But at the same time, I don't want to make it too early for those who are already regular participants. Of course, we're never going to please everyone but I would like to get a general consensus.

Could you please just reply to me by email with your preferences for a starting time. We would, of course, keep it on a weekday evening, and probably still Mondays as that's still the quietest night of the week for our current venue.

Just let me know which of the following are best for you as a starting time: 6.00pm, 6.15pm, 6.30pm, 6.45pm, 7.00pm, 7.15pm, 7.30pm.

Venue

I have no current plans to change our venue at the bar at Waterstone's Piccadilly. It's generally fine and they (almost!) always remember our booking, but it's occasionally a bit noisy for our purposes.

I was approached by an independent bookshop, which I visited to discuss, but they never got back to me and I got the impression it was a money-making venture for them, so I've dropped that idea.

However, if anyone knows of somewhere suitable, please contact me and I'll explore.

Book for March

Finally, I'd like to get the book for March selected pretty soon. So please send me any suggestions or recommendations you have. (If you don't know what's suitable, just ask.) I'll then set up an online poll and we'll select the book through the usual process.

That's it. Hope you all have a great Christmas and get some great books as presents. And a happy new year and see you on the 14th!

All the best

Justin