London Historical Fiction Book Group Message Board › London Historical Fiction Book Group - Update

London Historical Fiction Book Group - Update

Justin
user 7750145
Group Organizer
London, GB
Hi all

Yesterday's meetup / attendance

Firstly, a big thank-you to everyone who came along to our meetup last night to discuss "The King's Diamond", especially the many new faces.

It was possibly a record turnout, which, combined with the venue unusually giving us a table in the wrong room, resulted in a mini-logistical hiccup at the outset. So apologies for that. But we soon sorted the problem.

I'm sure you understand that I can never be sure how many are actually going to turn up and I have to book a table several weeks in advance and the attendance count keeps changing. Frequently, only about half of those showing as attending actually appear, so it's a bit of a surprise - albeit a delightful one - when almost everybody shows up! It would be great if everyone could keep their attendance status up to date so that if you know you aren't coming, I can see that as well and make the necessary arrangements.

I hope no-one minded us splitting up into two separate discussions. Even if we'd had a table large enough for all of us, I don't think a single discussion with that many people would have worked. Perhaps, we could even have split the larger group into two smaller ones?

I welcome your thoughts on what would work best, from both first-timers and more regular attendees. Nothing is set in stone and I'm continually open to ideas. It's as much your book group as it is mine!

Our discussions

One thing I'd like to try for our next meetup is (as I suggested) everybody picking a small passage from the book - it could be a sentence or two, or a couple of little paragraphs - that they would read out and we could discuss. It could be a passage that you really liked, that you thought was written well and played a key function in the narrative. Or alternatively, it could a piece of writing that you disliked.

Unless anyone has any objections, let's try that approach for the next book - so please bear it in mind whilst you're reading it. I'll remind everyone nearer the time.

Any other ideas for how we structure our discussion are more than welcome. I do frequently ask, but remain open to suggestions. Bear in mind that it would have to be something that would work for a sizeable group.

April meetup

Just to remind you that our next meetup is on Monday 22 April at 6.45pm. We will discuss "The Bone Thief" by V.M. Whitworth. Details below. Please RSVP if you haven't yet done so and adjust your attendance status as necessary if your situation changes.

http://www.meetup.com/London-Historical-Fiction-Book-Group/events/103489302/­

June meetup

The meetup after that will be on 3 June. Please send me any suggestions you have for a book to discuss then. I'll set up an online poll for that over the next couple of weeks. If you're not sure what's suitable, just ask me!

That's it. Thanks again to everyone for their input attended last night. Look forward to seeing you again.

Justin