addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

London Historical Fiction Book Group Message Board › London Historical Book Group - Please send suggestions for October

London Historical Book Group - Please send suggestions for October

Justin
user 7750145
Group Organizer
London, GB
Hi all
We next meet on Monday 2 September to discuss "The English Monster" by Lloyd Shepherd:
http://www.meetup.com/London-Historical-Fiction-Book-Group/events/122750282/­
After that, we will meet on Monday 21 October and we need to start choosing the book for that meetup very soon. Therefore, please send me any suggestions. In particular, I would welcome any strong suggestions of historical novels that you have loved (and that you think would make for a good discussion)!!
It has to be no more than about 450 pages, currently in print and in paperback. Ideally, it should be available for Kindle as well but not essential. If in doubt whether something is suitable or has been read before, just ask me.
I aim to put up the shortlist to vote from within ten days or so, so please get your suggestions into me as soon as possible.
Thanks
Justin
Jessie H.
user 38240462
London, GB
Post #: 11
Dear Justin,
A few suggestions written with exquisite literary skill,something that has been lacking in the last few novels that we have read
1.The Leopard by Guiseppe Tomasi di Lampedussa
2.A Place of Greater Safety by Hilary Mantel
3.Memoirs of Hadrian by Marquerite Yourcenar
4.Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
Justin
user 7750145
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 38
Thanks for these suggestions, Jessie.

Numbers 1 and 3 we have already read and discussed in the past.
Number 2 is far too long to consider, at 880 pages.....
Number 4 has been included in a recent shortlist. I can consider including it again in the future.

Thanks again