London Indie RPG Meetup Group Message Board › London Indie Weekend

London Indie Weekend

Closed to new replies

James J.
HartJesper
London, GB
Post #: 266
Hi Guys,

Just a quick question for everyone, gauging interest.

A weekend full of Indie Games?

From 10 am Saturday Morning to 10 pm Sunday Night,

A Mini Indie Con, if you will.

In Guildford, using on campus accommodation. (I went there its not too bad, they have on-suites if you want and duplex rooms if you don't.)

We might even let a few Trad games slip past. Who would be interested in doing this during the summer, the London Indie RPG Weekend away.

Three Answers needed.

Would you be interested at all?

What would you pay for a single day, with or without food?

What would you pay for a weekend with/without food, with / without accomodation?

This is very much a small enquiry at the moment, dont get too excited.

(PS, please get a little excited)

Details So Far

• ADVANCE = One Day £6, Two Day £12
  • June Onwards = One Day £8, Two Day £15
  • Location RUBIX, University of Surrey
  • Food/drink available from Student Union (Pub food), and Guildford takeaways (that deliver)

James M.
user 19705081
London, GB
Post #: 7
A more important question to me before I can begin to consider the other ones is: when?
James J.
HartJesper
London, GB
Post #: 269
Well as this is very much in the planning progress anytime during summer time, while the University of Surrey is not in session.

But waiting for an understanding on weekends they have free etc.

So no exact dates yet, but probably a weekend in August.
A former member
Post #: 30
Nice idea James: the con season is a bit meagre in the summer.

1) Yeah, I'm tentatively interested in coming.

As for the money questions, I not really bothered about costs. I'll answer to help though, basing my answers on costs from other cons.

• IndieCon is a 3 day event, and I think I'm about ~£50 for accomodation and game pass and the like.
  • ConCrete Cow is a 1 day event and I'm £5 for the day.
  • London Indiemeet is free, but I'm ~£30 on the train and ~£30 on food and drink during the day.

John
J0hn
Teddington, GB
Post #: 4
yes this would interest me
Goober
user 14204051
London, GB
Post #: 1
I agree with Pete so in order this is what we think from Hemel,

Yes-would be interested, as with indiecon (Nov), Conception (Jan), Concrete Cow (Mar off the top of my head), Dragonmeet (Dec), Essen (Oct) we are sadly lacking "something" in the middle.

Paying days is normally between £5-£10 but if you charge more think about putting demo games, or keep the costs low and offer free admission for anyone running a game.

Personally food is a hastle for a one day event unless you can get the venue to do it for free and charge customers themselves.

As for a weekend a bar always helps sell the event when people want to chill!, and then a Friday night meetup comes into its own. Be aware games starting early 8-9am will put people off if they have to travel a long way or rely on public transport. With a place to crash without on-suite would pay about £25 and £30 with on-suite and £35 and £40 with on-suite for a twin.

Hope this is a little help and we would be interested in coming if you manage to get it off the ground.

All the best.......

Goober
James J.
HartJesper
London, GB
Post #: 278
Latest Information.

Accomodation Quoted at £30.00/£40.00 inc VAT depening if you want En-suite or not.

Oak Hall (No Bar, just a hall) £500 per day, only got 18/19th August available in Summer.

Still waiting for a quote on the student union building (has a bar, and connect to the universities equivalent of Wetherspoons)

I have ploaded a pdf provided with the available buffet options

(I doubt I would go with them, but might offer the breakfast options, although buffet might make sense as Oak hall is pretty far away from other food places, unless ordering take away.)
James J.
HartJesper
London, GB
Post #: 279
Union just got back to me!

£100 per day for the venue.

Have to sort out our own tables, (I think we can get them from the university if possible)

Any hints or tips for table/seat hire would be great.

Free access to Chancellors (Bar/Pub food)

£200 for Venue

£0 food , buy your own.

£0 accomodation, £40/30 to book your own on campus.

Tables / Chairs (Havent got a clue)

James J.
HartJesper
London, GB
Post #: 280
Table Chair Hire

Hire Example

For every 4 players

2 * 4ft by 2ft Tables = £13

4 chairs = £8.00

= £21.00

£4.25 each

This does not include delivery, but hopefully if we get enough will be included.

If I assume 50 people will turn up (this is hopefully a low estimate) £200/50 = £4.00 + £4.25 for furniture.

Taing into account giving discoutns to people running games, marketing costs etc.

£12.00 for both days ??

Goober
user 14204051
London, GB
Post #: 2
Sounds like your'e really moving on!. Price sounds good so far, and £12 for the weekend is very reasonable.

Is the table hire price from the Uni as it sounds quite expensive?. If it's not might be worth asking them if they use anyone and book using their discount!, cheeky but worth an ask.

Also good idea to ask any traders or local shops if they want to come. Usually cons charge £50-£100 per day, but if you want to get them in while your small, charge a nominal amount and ask for gaming donations you can raffle, give away, keep and let bored gamers use if they haven't got a game. Ask games workshop if they want to run a demo, that way you get loads of younger gamers who can see other games in action, and the shop should let you advertise in their windows. Don't forget to visit all local games clubs to drop in flyers etc.

Gaming tables should ideally average 6 seated players and a DM.

If you need any help or want to bounce a few ideas drop me a mail.

Till then keep going, and when would it be?, you put 18/19 but not the month!