The right to organise events under this group is open to all members, and you do not have to be a designated ‘Organiser’. Unfortunately, this does open us up to the risk of organisers/ representatives of other groups and organisations seeking to advertise their events. The following exceptions therefore apply, and we reserve the right to delete non-compliant events:
- In keeping with the non-profit nature of our group, we do not allow the posting of profit-making events;
- No postings by organisers of, and/ or of events already advertised on, other Meetup groups, please.
- No events involving the collection of information on our members (e.g. “to register your interest for this event, you must supply your number/ email”)
Exceptions to the above may be permitted where cleared with the Group Organiser in advance.
Otherwise, in order to ensure that events are well organised, we would ask event organisers please to respect the following rules:
- As you post the event, please include clear details of the venue, meeting point and time. It is also a good idea to provide a clear identifier on the day (e.g. Russian newspaper on the table) and/ or your mobile number for those who may have trouble finding the group (either with the details of the event as you post it or, if you have concerns about privacy, emailing it only to those members who have replied Yes to your event before it takes place). Please also make clear in your posting that you are the event organiser.
- If the event organiser is unable to attend his/ her own event, e.g. unexpectedly unwell as the day approaches, it is his/ her responsibility to make alternative arrangements. This may involve assigning another member who has replied Yes to the event as the revised focal point - with his/ her agreement, of course.
- As a courtesy to other members, please try not to clash with events already on the planner. In rare cases (e.g. 2 different Russian concerts on same day), it may be unavoidable – in which case we will allow both, and members simply choose. If unsure, please email me.
If, as the event approaches, you only have 1 or 2 ‘Yes’ responses, you may wish to think about deleting it - although we will not ordinarily insist on it.
For those attending events:
- If you have replied to an event, please keep your Yes/ No response updated as the day approaches. Whilst actual attendees on the day almost always differ from those who have actually replied Yes, and event organisers should be prepared for this, please let’s try to minimise this.
- Please offer to buy the event organiser a drink as a token of thanks :)