addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

London gamers Message Board › Hello London Gamers!!! What are you hoping to get from this site?

Hello London Gamers!!! What are you hoping to get from this site?

A former member
Post #: 6
Hello London Gamers!

I haven't been able to meet most of you yet (have only been able to get to two Meetups so far) but hope to meet more people soon.

From my brief time on this site, and with Meetup in general, it seems as though there is a diverse group of members here and a set of varied interests.

I for one joined this group because I've more recently become interested in playing the new, to me, generation of board games and (potentially down the road when I have more time) table top games like D&D. Currently, this group seems to have a fairly strong contingent that are interested in setting up these types of meets but given the "Online/Console Games" meetup that's been hovering around for quite a while now and comments recently about letting people know what consoles/games/etc. you have, I thought that this was a good time to start up a discussion.

What are people looking to get from this site? What percentage of the people here are looking to set up board game meetups versus console/video game sessions or card game sessions like poker, euchre, or something else? How many people here are looking for serious gaming sessions were competition reins supreme versus more social gaming gatherings over a beer or two (or ten)?

Granted, there could be a lot of people talking to each other behind the scenes that hasn't been reflected here on the site, but I thought that since it's showing that there are 92 members (as of this posting) this might be a good way to get the members talking about what they're looking to get from this site and maybe help people that are looking to get together to play online games, or poker nights, or something else talking and making those connections.

At the end of the day, this probably will be my feeble attempt to create a more active community here, but you can't blame me for trying…

Kevin
Ira J.
IraJacobs
London, ON
Post #: 7
I enjoy all kinds of gaming, but RPGs like D&D are my favorite. That is not what I was expecting from this group though - that was more of a pleasant surprise. I came expecting board-gaming meetups for the 'new generation' of games, as Kevin put it, and I'm disappointed they're always on Mondays when I'm not free haha :)
Hossam M
user 45886562
Group Organizer
St Thomas, ON
Post #: 7
Based on the meetup site statistics as of Sept 1 - 51 active members - IE members that have logged into the site within the last 3 months. Not sure how that is classified as active! I've emailed people who have been inactive to see why and what kind of events would entice them out of the 20+ emails I've sent, I received no reply.

There are people who haven't been on the site for ages (6months+) and I am assuming they no longer require meetup's services, either that or they forgot about the site and had set up an email address just to sign up and thus dont get any notices about events.... some people also get turned off by the "Spam" the site sends and classify as junk mail and thus dont get any notices either.

Not sure if people are even aware of the discussion section of the site... I hope some input comes out of this thread.

There is also "suggest an event" tab that people can start events on their own, or they can email me if they want. The only person that used that feature is Nicole and myself back when the group had no activity and before we were organizers. The biggest hurdle is finding a place to have the meetup. Imperial Hobbies only has Mondays open for Boardgames.... Wednesdays are DnD nights and thats where we hold our monthly Newbie Night.... DnD also is hard to set up as you need a group and once there is a group formed its near impossible to set up another group, and people tend to feel excluded.

I personally enjoy All gaming - from board-games to table-top RPG's.... I would do an Event everyday if I had the time...

I hope people aren't coming out to our weekly boardgame night because they are shy, or afraid to fit in... we could always use more people... !
Hossam M
user 45886562
Group Organizer
St Thomas, ON
Post #: 24
Bumping this topic.

With more active members I think there will be more input!
Ira J.
IraJacobs
London, ON
Post #: 16
This meetup offers:
-board games Monday at Imperial Hobbies
-board games Thu at The Game Chamber
-notifications about other gaming events, like LA Mood's monthly board game day
-some people trying to get ongoing RPGs started

Isn't that enough? I'm not opposed to new things, of course, but I don't think there's much else out there.
A former member
Post #: 13
This site has seen an explosion of members and events since I first posted this thread. We're getting close to double the amount of members since I originally posted and who knows if those new members have put thought in to some of these questions. So… ya… things have definitely changed but I guess it would still be nice to know if people (especially the new ones) are looking for anything different. Different and/or more venues. Particular interests in types of games, etc.
A former member
Post #: 5
For me it's mostly about exposure to new people and new games.

It's a good platform for someone like me - who moved to a new city and had no social network - to meet like-minded people and make friends and then hopefully socialize with them even outside of boardgames and meetup.

Within meetup; I try to play as many new games as I can, so I can expand my own collection with games I know I like to play and are likely to be enjoyed by the family members I force them on in the future :)

And more venues south of London would be a good thing, but I'm speaking from as far south as you can go before you hit Lake Erie....

I would say that I've been getting pretty much everything I wanted to get out of Meetup so far :)
Paul B.
user 65392902
London, ON
Post #: 4
I enjoy the Monday night board game nights at Imperial Hobbies. It gives me a chance to get exposed to current popular games. Being new to London, the Monday meet up provides an oppportunity to meet new people with whom I share a common interest.

I would also like to set up a medieval fantasy role playing group using HarnWorld and the HarnMaster game system from Columbia Games (see http://columbiagames....­. This would be a "table top" group with paper, pencils, and dice (or dice apps on your smart phone). I haven't gone "public" yet, as I have been working on background material and a story arc for the campaign. I've got a canned adventure for the first adventure, and I am working on a second adventure now. If anyone is interested, send me an email, and we can talk more about it.
James K.
user 76698522
London, ON
Post #: 1
For me it's mostly about exposure to new people and new games.

It's a good platform for someone like me - who moved to a new city and had no social network - to meet like-minded people and make friends and then hopefully socialize with them even outside of boardgames and meetup.

Within meetup; I try to play as many new games as I can, so I can expand my own collection with games I know I like to play and are likely to be enjoyed by the family members I force them on in the future :)

And more venues south of London would be a good thing, but I'm speaking from as far south as you can go before you hit Lake Erie....

I would say that I've been getting pretty much everything I wanted to get out of Meetup so far :)

I'm not much for words, but conveniently Nicole said everything I was thinking. So... that's what she said? :)
Ira J.
IraJacobs
London, ON
Post #: 17
@paul:
We're sorry. Unfortunately our recent emails to this member have been returned as "undeliverable". Hopefully this member will resolve the problem soon -- check back in a few days.