align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

London gamers Message Board › Online DnD if anyone is interested

Online DnD if anyone is interested

Joseph
user 68501732
London, ON
Post #: 1
My schedule only let me make one of the group's gaming meets at Imperial Hobbies and I enjoyed learning Catan. Hopefully I'll be more available in the future.

Anyhow... I've noticed a few of you are DnD fans but that getting a campaign going has been a problem with scheduling. We have a small campaign going on our forums and some new players would be more than welcome. It's 3.5E and we'll be heading in to Ravenloft at some point. We're taking a "lite" approach to the rules and setting as that's easier for online playing.

We currently have a fighter, rogue and priest. We haven't done much yet. Met in an inn and had one combat encounter. It doesn't take much time, we tend to make 2-3 posts per week., day or night doesn't matter since it's a message board. If anyone is interested, let me know.
Jessica
user 70082542
London, ON
Post #: 1
Hi, I am interested. I've only played IRL once, and I'm a mage. We did a few encounters, but I want to play more.
Please keep me updated =)
-Jessica
Joseph
user 68501732
London, ON
Post #: 2
If you don't have a lot of experience, playing a mage can be tricky but we can help you along. And if you don't have any of the books (which I don't anymore) pretty much all you need to know is online. Nothing to really update you with. If you want to play, just say so. What edition's rules did you use before? 3.5? The new 4th Edition?
Jessica
user 70082542
London, ON
Post #: 2
We played the newest edition. I have a .pdf of the player's handbook..., I've got to assume everything was 4th editino.
Greg S.
user 55169912
Strathroy, ON
Post #: 10
have you put any thought as to what online tools you'll use?

I'd recommend a free program called Maptool, it's a pretty amazing virtual table top for roleplaying, and has many features that blow it's competition out of the water.

You can find it at www.rptools.net, I recommend it for any map-base play, in person or online.. Might take a bit more prep to set up, but it's vision blocking and fog of war are the best implementations i've ever seen.
Hossam M
user 45886562
Group Organizer
St Thomas, ON
Post #: 19
I am interested in how this turns out.... let me know how it goes when you get a few encounters going :)
Joseph
user 68501732
London, ON
Post #: 3
We've been playing on our forums for years actually. This is just the latest campaign. I've never heard of that map tool before. May indeed be worth checking out.

For those of you that might be interested, feel free to pop by our boards. Just click the forums link on the site

http://www.winterwind...­

And to answer in advance the questions that may arise, I used to be fairly dedicated to doing a quarterly ezine, which is what the site is for. However that's been on a bit of a hiatus and I often think the only reason I've kept the forums up is partly archive, partly for our rpg.

And if you want to join, feel free to register an account. The rpg itself is in the "rpg this!" sub-forum of the "Fun and Games" section.
Ira J.
IraJacobs
London, ON
Post #: 12
Maptools (and similar programs) are great if everyone's online at the same time, but it sounds like this game is being done do that nobody has to "meet" online, and they can just post things at their leisure.
Joseph
user 68501732
London, ON
Post #: 4
Ah. I'd suspected as much but hadn't had a chance to check out the program. I was thinking it might have been a better alternative than making basic maps in MS Paint, like we've done before.

And yes, Ira, you're right. We're playing via posts on a forum, not real time meetups.
Greg S.
user 55169912
Strathroy, ON
Post #: 11
don't need to be online at the same time. maptool is designed to be done as a play by post as well.. it can work even better that way actually, because you can be sure to set things up correctly.

I haven't used it in a couple of years, so it may have even more features.. but it has a pretty extensive scripting support, people have done health bars, character sheets, fully automated combat, and such in the language... while it can be hard to find for other systems, dnd is the most widely used, and is the default for proof of concept and sharing.

play by post works basically by saving the campaign and sending it to players, they'll open it up in map tool, and (if i remember correctly) they can login, their username defines what character is theirs. maptool has (or at least had) vision blocking, so seeing around corners, trees, pillars and the like are set up in a line-of-sight method, not only does it look cool, but combined with vision radius' (default is dnd distances) it comes out with a pretty realistic view. One of the other features i really liked is that a map can be set up for individual player views, so everyone isn't seeing the same thing, they are seeing what their character sees, it can be a good tool to help illustrate just how much communication is required during combat and such.

it's an optional tool, and of course it does add a bit more work to building a campaign, but if your going to draw map illustrations, a simple grid with lines can easily be done with vision blocking in a similar time as it would be to say draw something in photoshop when you get to know the tool. as much as i want to play, i've been swamped lately, so things are all up in the air... i'll see if i can swing by tho. i'm having roleplaying withdrawls :P