addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

London gamers Message Board › Any interest in Sim City 5?

Any interest in Sim City 5?

Hossam M
user 45886562
Group Organizer
St Thomas, ON
Post #: 30
Wanted to see if anybody is thinking about getting it... looks really good and the multiplayer aspect of it might be fun :)
James K.
user 76698522
London, ON
Post #: 3
noooooooo don't spend your money on that gong show.

Where can I start? It requires an always on internet connection to play, regardless of if you want to play single player or multi. If EA's servers are having issues, or if your connection is broken for some reason; no Simcity for you that day. Simcity has to be downloaded, installed and played through EA's digital distribution service (Origin). In order to combat piracy, Simcity is more or less played on the EA servers, you only really store art assets on your local system. This means that again, if EA's servers are bogged down you could have issues in game. This has most recently taken the form of EA disabling features within the game to ease the strain on the servers.

All that aside, from what I've read and heard, the game it's self is a buggy mess and not what anybody who likes Simcity was hoping for.

Some reviews for you:

SimCity impressions: We waited ten years for this?

The city that never sleeps, but always poops, needs water, and more electricity: PAR plays SimCity

The maximum size of a city

And if that weren't enough reasons to not give EA your money, they're refusing to give any refunds out for the game, and threatening to ban the Origin accounts of anybody who disputes the charge through their credit or bank card. Meaning that that people would lose use of every EA game they've bought through Origin. Yes they can do this, it's all agreed upon when you install the Origin service.

Please don't give EA your money. If you've got a Simcity itch to scratch, Simcity 4 Deluxe can be had for cheap now a days, and still has a vibrant modding community adding features to it everyday.

Hossam M
user 45886562
Group Organizer
St Thomas, ON
Post #: 31
Hmm... those are some interesting points... i guess i got washed up in all the "Lets Play" videos i saw and the nostalgia of sim city...

I dont mind the online model... sigh... the city's are kinda small now that you mention it.... I'll check out SC4Deluxe for now.
Dominic
user 16250341
London, ON
Post #: 11
I was looking into it myself actually. I have it preordered, just have not had a chance to pick it up yet. If they start fixing the servers up to handle the capacity then maybe it won't be so bad?
Hossam M
user 45886562
Group Organizer
St Thomas, ON
Post #: 32
I caved in and bought it... i am sucker for simcity...

the server appear stable so far. no issues on my part so far.

still dont like that there is no offline mode... but the regional play kinda helps.
A former member
Post #: 2
yup I was plannig to get it soon
Jason M.
user 74000282
St Thomas, ON
Post #: 3
Damn I am also a Simcity fan. You really can't play solo? That's messed up. Still debating on purchasing it though.
A former member
Post #: 16
I think that it looks really good and would probably be fun to play, but I'm not a fan of EA and their business direction. For everyone that has it, just wait for the micro-transactions and DLC to slowly chip away at your wallets.
Hossam M
user 45886562
Group Organizer
St Thomas, ON
Post #: 33
I'm too cheap for DLC's.... and if they make DLC's a "must have" (ie: a DLC to expand your city size) then i'll be upset :(

Otherwise - i am finding it a lot of fun. Especially playing with others!

When we have enough people we can start a London Gamers map!
A former member
Post #: 17
<rant> That's the way that EA has been operating as of late. Day 1 DLC, you have to pay addition money to unlock features that are already on the disk, etc. There's also no reason that it needs to be connected all the time either, other than for DRM purposes. I understand that they want to stop piracy and used game sales, but they need to figure out a better way. </rant>