DOCHOUSE and the FRONTLINE CLUB to investigate the dramatically shifting boundaries in today’s new media landscape, with three days of powerful films and lively debate.
Between the Lines is a unique weekend festival, 1st-3rd March, 2013, at Rich Mix Cinema, that will explore the challenges facing documentary makers, investigative journalists and citizen reporters, in the converging digital world.
For the first time, an in-depth programme of films and discussion will look closely at the issues and opportunities raised by the internet, trans-media and merging documentary conventions.
Why are some documentary makers becoming investigative reporters? Who controls the news? How does corporate or charitable sponsorship influence filmmakers? Is citizen journalism the future? How does all this affect the viewer?
Answers to these and other vital questions will be pursued at Between the Lines, a festival breaking new ground in bringing together key players from across recent and traditional media disciplines.
SESSIONS WILL INCLUDE:
• Setting the scene, How has new technology changed the way we document the world?;
• Selling Out? Corporate and political control of documentary and journalism;
• Grassroots Surge – Trust and user generated content;
• Trading Places – Merging boundaries in documentary;
• From Left Field – New hybrid alternatives;
• Storytelling in the New Landscape – The medium and the message
• Where do we go from here?
*More information about these sessions can be found at www.betweenthelinesfest.com/sessions
SPEAKERS AND PANELLISTS WILL INCLUDE:
• William Uricchio - Founder and principal investigator of the MIT Open Documentary Lab
• Turi Munthe - CEO and Founder of Demotix
• Kevin Macdonald - Oscar and BAFTA-winning Documentary Filmmaker
• Gavin MacFadyen - Director of the Centre for Investigative Journalism
• Penny Woolcock - Grierson Award-winning filmmaker
• Kim Longinotto - Multi-award winning Documentary Filmmaker
• Emily Bell - Professor of Professional Practice and Director of the Tow Centre for Journalism Columbia University NY
• Jon Blair - Commissioning Editor for Major Series, Specials and Discussions, Al Jazeera English
• Alexandre Brachet - Producer and CEO of Upian.com
• Tim Pool US-based live-streaming journalist
*More information on these and other speakers available at www.betweenthelinesfest.com/speakers
FILMS WILL INCLUDE:
The Central Park Five (2012)
Ken Burns, Sarah Burns & David McMahon (USA, 119 mins)
Last Call at the Oasis (2012)
Jessica Yu (USA, 95 min)
We Are Legion: The Story of the Hacktivists (2012)
Brian Knappenberger (USA, 95 mins)
The Ambassador (2011)
Mads Brügger (Denmark, 93 mins)
*More information on these and other films available at www.betweenthelinesfest.com/films
The event will be held on 1st-3rd March, 2013 at Rich Mix Cinema, Shoreditch, and tickets will be available to purchase through the Rich Mix website, www.richmix.org.uk, or online at www.betweenthelinesfest.com.
Place to Meet: Rich Mix Cinema Cafe