"If culture is a house then language is the key to the front door, to all the rooms inside. Without it you end up wayward without a proper home or a legitimate identity" ~ And The Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini
Are you a URDU LOVER who wants to speak/hear more URDU (Social Events/ Movies/ Literature & Poetry Gatherings etc.)? If YES, you have come to the right place!
Imagine doing anything in London but with some Urdu banter in a relaxed, environment with like-minded professional people....We usually run small group sized events as find that is easier and more conducive for language groups. We like doing coffees, dinners, lunches (anything food-related!), literature and poetry gatherings, day trips, picnics, festivals, movies etc.
We also promote events which are linked to Urdu language such as Concerts/Movies/Plays/ Qawwali & Ghazal gatherings, we do not usually promote English language events. As Urdu language events are so rare here in London please do let us know of any events that you think might be of interest to the group!
This is important: Membership approval is at organisers' discretion. So that you have a good chance you need to complete your profile properly, in full and ensure it is relevant and meaningful. Please try and use a picture of yourself too this ensures we do not have fake online members that never intend on attending. Also this is NOT a dating group so please don't embarrass yourself or make others uncomfortable by assuming that.
We meet regularly around central London (this varies around Zone 1 sometimes 2) - keep an eye out for emails of new meetups. Once accepted please respect others by RSVP'ing correctly: No shows or last minute RSVP changes for three events will mean a ban from event rsvp-ing for up to 6 months.
In addition, disrespect to other members or the organisers can result in termination of your membership without further explanation.
Who can join?
* We have now set an age bracket (20 to 45 years old only all ethnic backgrounds are welcome). Please note this is not an Urdu appreciation society for those with advanced Urdu skills. Although if someone wants to plan events and activities for those with advanced Urdu some members may be open to that
* This is primarily a conversation group. There is no emphasis on reading or writing - it's just speaking and listening. We do not run Urdu teaching classes.
* You are of course also welcome if you speak Urdlish/Engdu (Urdu with a bit of English and English with a bit of Urdu...) - we are always guilty of that too! ;)
• Often we promote and put up external events that might be of interest to the group that may not necessarily be hosted by us. These are usually marked 'Info only'
• We often promote Indian events or plays/movies etc as we believe it aids people's understanding of Urdu. I have noticed in the past people strongly opposing this I can just say then this group is not for you
• Intolerance will not be tolerated.
• The aim is not to organize 'Muslim' or 'Pakistani/Indian' events. If there is no relevance to Urdu we may not necessarily put it up just because its a Pakistani/Indian or Muslim event. Of course we understand sometimes that might be inevitable.
• This is also the case with charity events that some people like to suggest. If there is no relevance to Urdu we may not necessarily put it up just because its a Pakistani or Muslim charity/event. Please contact me or speak to me regarding this if you need more clarification