I am looking for recommendations for a java programming book. I know of plenty of books in programming and java but just thought to get opinions of others. It would be big advantage if the book is open source and free.
Ideally I am looking for a book that is:
1. Interesting and fun to read.
2. Simple to understand, based on active learning approach, possibly with real life examples
3. Directed mainly towards people who are learning programming for the first time
4. Book should be as much about general programming concepts as it is about Java in particular.
5. There should be no prerequisites beyond a general familiarity with the ideas of computers and programs.
Thanks and Regards,