add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo
George T.
user 76387642
Plainview, NY
Post #: 1
Hey all,

Just installed Drupal 7 on my ubuntu server. I don't want to continue any further until I understand this whole cron thing....

Can anyone give me some information on what this is, what I need to do with it, and why it's so important please.

Nick S.
user 13640522
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 2
Hey George,

I actually thought I posted a response to this a while ago... I must have not submitted... :)

In any event, as you may know cron is a way to run scheduled tasks. Within the context of Drupal, modules have the ability to implement a special hook function called hook_cron(). Within this function we can implement any house cleaning tasks we may want to perform. Such as delete temporary records or files, retrieve external data, etc, etc. Every time cron is run on our site this function will run.

In Drupal 7 you can schedule your cron runs on the '/admin/config/system/cron' page. How often you should run cron can change depending on your sites needs but it is generally good practice to run it occasionally. For low traffic sites you can run it once a day.

Hope that helps!

Have fun!!