Long Beach Geeks Message Board › Zeppelins, blimps, and other Freudian ships

Zeppelins, blimps, and other Freudian ships

Ganna
Magoda
Group Organizer
Lakewood, CA
Post #: 15
A wild zeppelin thread appears!

I thought it might be nice to have a place to start dumping info on the project, it's been a bit quiet here lately...

Hackerspaces

I remember there being a bit of discussion about hackerspaces, because hackerspaces are rad.
Turns out there's an active hackerspace in Fullerton! The 23b Shop: http://shop.23b.org/...­ If people don't mind carpooling up there (~30mins away) this might be something worth checking out for gas/part storage and construction! Space usage is free, provided a keyholder is present and you take a safety course. I do believe they ask for donations/helping out with shop cleanup in return.
If there's interest in this, let me know and I'll contact them.
(Also, there *really* needs to be a hackerspace in LB. Maybe once I get my %^$& together I'll get a fund going.)

Gas

For safety reasons, I'm going to go ahead and suggest a hydrogen gas balloon core, with a larger nitrogen envelope surrounding it. Luckily, there have been a few papers published on the concept so I will try to dig some up. This should give us the lift of hydrogen, with less flammability concerns. Plus, both are cheap, easily sourced gasses. If/when we hit this point I'll be giving everyone involved some serious safety lessons. With hard hats and everything.
Harmon
Harmon3
Anaheim, CA
Post #: 1,784
Any links to the Nitrogen/Hydrogen papers?
Ganna
Magoda
Group Organizer
Lakewood, CA
Post #: 16
A few links:
Practically ancient, but the concept is still there.
Patent for a hydrogen airship that uses it's own fuel cell (!)
Another pre-war link