TinkerMill: The Longmont Makerspace Message Board › Tuesday meetup 7.2.13

Tuesday meetup 7.2.13

Scott C.
scottconverse
Group Organizer
Longmont, CO
Changes for Tuesday:
First, I won't be there. Lindsay, our trusty Vice President will be running the meeting.  Second, it's at our new location: The Community Room at the main police station (225 Kimbark).
There are Three main topics for the meeting:  Space (decide direction).  Money (what do we collect?).  Classes (we have the space, now we need the classes).
Space
Looking at the Space discussion, it's looking kindof split.  We have a poll online right now (If you haven't voted PLEASE VOTE:  http://www.meetup.com/LongmontHackerSpace/polls/854252/?showVote=1­) We have 14 votes total.  7 are for renting temporary space at the mall (6 for large space, 1 for small space) and 7 are for waiting until we can get more permanent space.
So, not sure what to make of that.  You guys should work that out tonight.  Personally, I'm for getting some space now (even if it's the small space) so we can get started and have a home of our own.  But I voted as well and I'm in that '7 for space' group.
Money
IF we decide not to go with getting a low cost space now, we'll need to focus on starting to collect enough money to get a more permanent space.  Which brings us to the membership dues and founding membership contribution discussion.
We've pretty much agreed on the membership dues:  $25 student (age 18-25 or so), $50 regular membership, $75 family membership.
Next, we need to decide what the founding member contributions should be.  We talked about founding member's putting in $300 each to get the space started.  Then we discussed how not everyone could do that out of the gate.  We didn't really discuss much beyond that.
So, that's the second major discussion you should try to have tonight.  How much of a contribution for founding member dues should be required?  Should it be required?  If not, how do we handle that?
Remember: If we get a long term location, we have to pay rent ($1200-1500-ish a mo plus 1 months rent as a deposit, so $2400-$3000 to get started), utilities($150-300 mo), insurance ($50-75 mo) and apply for a 501(c)3 non profit status ($1350- one time).  We'll need founding member group funding to get all that going.
Classes
We now have that Longmont City provided community space every Tuesday from 6pm-9pm and every Saturday from 1pm to 5pm.  I just learned they moved out 16 other meetings (that were already scheduled) to accommodate us so.. clearly, the city is supportive of what we're doing.  The idea of getting that Sat. slot was to start having classes on various subjects.  Chris Yoder has tentatively volunteered to be our "Class Master' (He could use help though!) and will be coming to you guys to see what classes we could start teaching, but it's not limited to just what Chris comes up with.  For instance, I can see a Sparkfun kit class in the near future.  And I'll bet every single one of you could teach a class on something right now, if so inclined.
And, to keep the Community Room, we have to use it.  So, we need a class for THIS Saturday.  It can be only an hour or two (doesn't have to fill the whole 4 hours).  Or we can do one 2 hour class, one 1 hour class.  Whatever we want.  But, between now and Sat. we need to come up with our first class.
And, of course, Lindsay may have other topics she wants to bring up.  I just wanted to make sure we got the initial business we need to deal with handled first and foremost.
Progress is.. good!  
Scott